Options

Netural online references for learning about storage?

JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
I'm six months into my sys admin job and I'm new to storage (SAN, LUNs, Raw Disks, Data Stores and so forth).

So, I'm reaching out to others and want to see if there is any type of reference material online that others would recommend that is vendor neutral, that I can read from or use as reference.

thanks
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The EMC book "Information Storage and Management: Storing, Managing, and Protecting Digital Information in Classic, Virtualized, and Cloud Environments" should do you nicely for starters.

Don't be put off by the fact its an EMC book, it does mention EMC technologies in there but its mostly vendor neutral. What vendor are you using at the moment, I may be able to point you in further (deeper) directions :)
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    bertieb wrote: »
    What vendor are you using at the moment, I may be able to point you in further (deeper) directions :)

We acutally have a mix, which I think is pretty common: EMC, Dell and HP.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    +1 for EMC's "Information Storage and Management: Storing, Managing, and Protecting Digital Information in Classic, Virtualized, and Cloud Environments"

It really is a well written book that you shouldn't pass up because its not vendor neutral.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    bertieb wrote: »
    The EMC book "Information Storage and Management: Storing, Managing, and Protecting Digital Information in Classic, Virtualized, and Cloud Environments" should do you nicely for starters.

Don't be put off by the fact its an EMC book, it does mention EMC technologies in there but its mostly vendor neutral. What vendor are you using at the moment, I may be able to point you in further (deeper) directions :)

Thanks for the tip on the book, add another one to the pile to read.

-unknown
  • Options
    IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I listed a google app that is available at Amazon. Good material for the storage + and learning the theory behind a lot storage concepts.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00RB9B8RW/ref=mp_s_a_1_10?qid=1427999216&sr=8-10&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=comptia+storage%2B
  • Options
    IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah its good to see you want to learn storage this is the one forgotten concept most admins neglect. I had the calls where I had to tell people your raid is shot due to neglect. All data is lost, in some cases thats everything.
  • Options
    IIIMaster wrote: »
    Yeah its good to see you want to learn storage this is the one forgotten concept most admins neglect. I had the calls where I had to tell people your raid is shot due to neglect. All data is lost, in some cases thats everything.

95% of my Linux servers live on SANs, and I want to understand all of the terminology in order to understand how to troubleshoot and implement future servers.

Plus, it add another layer of complexity into the equation, so I feel this is something that needs to be understood.

thanks

-unknown