Options

ICND1 Question

Justin-Justin- Member Posts: 300
Hello,

I will soon be starting my studies for CCENT/CCNA. I already purchased Lammle's book and I also bought the CCENT ICND1 Network Simulator (by Odom & Sean Wilkins). I plan on also using CBT nuggets to supplement studies, but would this be a decent study setup? I know some people buy equipment, but for CCENT/CCNA would I be ok with the Network simulator that I just mentioned and Lammle's book/CBT Nuggets?

Any tips/help would be great. Thanks everyone!

Cheers,

-J

Comments

• Options
    ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I went with a physical lab set up, 3 switches and 3 routers. But my understanding is that for the CCENT/CCNA you can get buy with GNS3, Packet Tracer or other types of simulators.
    2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
    CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Lammle's book and CBT Nuggets should be enough to pass.

As far as lab, for the CCNA, Packet Tracer is enough and its free. A physical lab is kind of cool to just to see it work with live equipment.
  • Options
    Packet tracer seems like there's a lot to learn. The network simulator that I plan on using has a step to step guide on how to setup the labs and properly configure them.

Does anyone have any experience with odom network sim?

thanks
  • Options
    Justin- wrote: »
    Packet tracer seems like there's a lot to learn.

Its actually an extremely simple program... Not much to the program
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Packet tracer seems like there's a lot to learn.

Don't be afraid to learn. I have only used packet tracer and GNS3. The one thing I can say if you don't figure out packet tracer I would reconsider networking. It might look overwhelming but it's just connecting devices.
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think it's enough to pass. Make sure you know the material and don't rush.
  • Options
    Let me rephrase that:

I meant how would I learn PT, because I am assuming CBT nuggets / the CCENT book don't have any labs that I can set up in PT itself. Also, that's why I mentioned I am planning on using the network simulator because it has set up labs to work in.

Are there any labs that work directly in PT that any one of you guys can refer me to? That would be most helpful.

Thanks for all the responses. They're greatly appreciated.

J
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure CBT Nuggets actually uses Packet Tracer in some of their videos. Packet Tracer is pretty much as basic as it gets as far as a simulator.

You can pretty much setup any CCNA lab in Packet Tracer... If your looking for a preconfigured lab you can probably find those somewhere with a google search. But if you don't know how set it up yourself on Packet Tracer there is no way you would pass any of the exams.

I'm assuming you haven't actually started studying for the CCENT/CCNA by your questions. If you have been, you would realize how simple Packet Tracer is to use.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Are there any labs that work directly in PT that any one of you guys can refer me to?

You can email your purchase confirmation to Lammle's book to him and he will send you some extra material including packet tracers. I have downloaded them but not used them yet. Also check out DansCourses.com | Computer Networking Classes Taught by Dan Alberghetti I think he includes a bunch of free packet tracer downloads.

The only reason I did not use most of them is because I was enrolled in ciscos netacad which has it's own packet tracer activities.

Good Luck.