What cert to do next???

jbauman8296jbauman8296 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey all,

I am new here. I have some questions for some senior security guys regarding what cert I should do next. I have reached a point where I am unsure of which one to do next based on my current career path. My background is an equal mixture of non-technical and technical. I am security engineer now and got my CEHv8 last year to kick off my pen testing path. However, I am looking to move into management later on down the road but I don't think I am ready for the CISSP just yet. I have enough experience to do it but I have had some folks tell me to stick with some more lesser advanced certs first and then go for it. I am only 28 so I have a lot of career building left to do. I have considered other pen testing certs from SANS and Offensive Security as well as CRISC and CISA.

Any direction on what I should or could go for next other than the CISSP would be great. But if you think I should just do the CISSP or CISM based on your experiences with them I would be open to your post as well.

Cheers and thanks in advanced.

Comments

• TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    What about LPT? What do you want to do for your career? If incident response then forensics sruff would be good.
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Spell check and phone typing is never good lol. If you truly want to go into management CISSP is a must. I would probably think of CRISC as an afterthought.
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Go for the CISSP, you have enough experience according to your current certification. You will find that CISSP combines everything you know in a high level approach yet it does require someone that already has had the technical background and has had real worl experience. Look at the domains and what each domain includes in terms of materials that you need to be familiar with and you will see that you already know most of it. Good luck to you.
  • GForce75GForce75 Member Posts: 222
    Go CISSP to add some managerial certs to belt. You have a good understanding of the technical stuff already.
    Doctoral Candidate - BA (33/60hrs) ~ MBA/Project Management ~ BA/Business-IT
  • jbauman8296jbauman8296 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sorry for the long delay in response here. I went ahead and purchased the 6th edition of Shon Harris' book for CISSP training. Just going to go for it as you all have suggested. Thanks for the replies.
  • nelson8403nelson8403 Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck! take a look at some of the passed threads they can help a lot with studying, it is in the new format now but most things should still be applicable

http://www.techexams.net/forums/isc-sscp-cissp/102723-passed-cissp-yesterday.html (This has a great notes to print out and help study as well)
    Bachelor of Science, IT Security
    Master of Science, Information Security and Assurance

CCIE Security Progress: Written Pass (06/2016), 1st Lab Attempt (11/2016)