Options

Problem to open any thing in control panel

memo_tntmemo_tnt Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Dear all
I have windows 2003 server, IIS 6, sql2000, Symantec corporate 10, it’s working as web server,
2 weeks ago it was infected with Trojan hours and it was removed, but I faced problem to open any thing in the control panel, for example when I click on internet options or add remove programs it doesn’t open.
I don’t know if this happened after or before removing Trojan hours.
Plz help me.

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Welcome to the forums!

I would make sure that the applet executables are working.
    first, do a search for *.cpl in %systemroot%\System32, the control panel applet files have this .cpl extension. If you can double click on these and open the applets, then the Control Panel itself is fried. If the .cpl files are not there, then there is the problem. You can probably copy them from another W2k3 system into the System 32 folder.

Control panel opens with Control.exe, also located in %systemroot%\System32. Double click on this executable and it will open the Control Panel, then try clicking on the icons. If they don't open, then this file is corrupted. If this is the case, you can try to rename the file to myControl.exe, and the system seems to recreate the file itself(I tried it on my own system on my home network). If it doesn't create a good one, try pasting a good one from another machine. Don't think it can hurt, since you don't have it anyway. You can always rename it and delete it.

My question would be, How did you get a Trojan on your server, and did it infect any other machines? Maybe you already asked it yourself.

Good luck!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    Hi

Thanks alot for replying to me,
    I tried them all but it didnt work ok,,
    is there any thing else can solve this problem.

Thanks
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Are you sure the server is now clean?

Try running sfc /scannow on the command prompt. This may require the installation CD. SFC is the System File Checker and may be able to find and replace corrupted system files that prevent you from using the CP.

Also, try to list what you changed on the system since you last used the CP.

Apart from the Trojan, corrupt files, or something like that, it could be a bug, in which case it's probably known. In other words, try searching the MS knowledgebase to see if you can find anything regarding problems with opening CP applets.
  • Options
    Yes i tried SFC b4 and the same, , also it's cleaned 100%,,
    I looked for the eventlogs,, for CP,, but i didnt find any thing related to CP.