Options

Interview questions for Jr Network Engineer position

kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
Hello!

Upcoming interview soon, would like to prepare extra for this one. Would really appreciate if you guys review the description and provide some insight. Also, if anyone is from the IN/OH/KY area and want to throw how much you think a position like his should pay, please do so.
Thank you

Got it :D
meh

Comments

• Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Metro Detroit here; pay for a Jr Network/System admin is Mid 40's to Mid 50's. It seems the be that the benefits are where the real difference is at around here.

Good luck!
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Best question to ask someone is "describe your network in detail"
    From this you can determine their level of knowledge.

On your end be prepared for "what would you do if" or "how would you fix x"
    Networking is always straight forward. If you know it you know it.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    For something junior I always start with working through the basics. ARP, mac learning, basic routing. That is so much more important to me than knowing routing protocols etc. I can teach a junior person the highly technical stuff as long as they have a solid understanding of the fundamentals.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback!

I know what I know, and I dont know what I dont know. But there are several technologies and procedure I havent touched in a long time. The reason for the asking is to have an idea and maybe brush up some skills/knowledge.

Again, Thanks.
    meh
  • Options
    I got the job :D
    Thanks everyone for the tips! Been a long road but finally a network eng position.
    Have nothing but the utmost respect and feeling of gratitude to everyone in this community.

New challenges, time to work hard!
    meh
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats...a lot of blog posts out there on the subject. One I saw was draw/describe a network you have worked on or built and describe the things you implemented and why. I think the question included talking about any routing protocols, hsrp etc, vlsm and anything else relevant.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The question I posted obviously wouldn't be for a very jr engineer but somebody with at least a CCENT should be able to describe some of that stuff.