Options

Route redistribution Query

satishtechsatishtech Member Posts: 243
Is Route Redistribution part of ICND1 syllabus ?
I checked did not see it there.

Router(config-router)#default-information ?
originate Distribute a default route

Comments

• Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    1. No there is no redistribution
    2. default-information originate is not a redistribute command, it's used to advertise a default route only if there is a route in the underlying IGP table
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Route Redistribution is covered on CCNP: ROUTE. As for "default-information originate", you probably won't be expected to know anything more than what it does (advertises a default route).
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's used to advertise a default route only if there is a route in the underlying IGP table
    Not necessarily, it depends on the IGP. RIP doesn't require route in RIB, OSPF does, but doesn't if you add "always" on the end.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    EdTheLad wrote: »
    Not necessarily, it depends on the IGP. RIP doesn't require route in RIB, OSPF does, but doesn't if you add "always" on the end.

Agreed. I was assuming OSPF.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    crazboy84crazboy84 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    it use to be part of CCNA, they moved it to CCNP when the test changed in 2013.
  • Options
    crazboy84 wrote: »
    it use to be part of CCNA, they moved it to CCNP when the test changed in 2013.

It wasn't on the 2007-2013 exams (which I took), but I do believe it was on previous exams. I have some older CCNA books which include topics which are now on the CCNP and I think Route Redistribution was one of them. The Pre-2007 exam topics just said "Configure Routing Protocols", which could have included Route Redistribution. Thankfully, Cisco has been getting more explicit in their exam topics in recent years.
  • Options
    crazboy84crazboy84 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    theodoxa wrote: »
    It wasn't on the 2007-2013 exams (which I took), but I do believe it was on previous exams. I have some older CCNA books which include topics which are now on the CCNP and I think Route Redistribution was one of them. The Pre-2007 exam topics just said "Configure Routing Protocols", which could have included Route Redistribution. Thankfully, Cisco has been getting more explicit in their exam topics in recent years.

i took the exam in sept 2013 2 weeks before the exam changed to the current version (failed by 10 points) and had a simlation which redistribute static routes was required.
  • Options
    crazboy84 wrote: »
    i took the exam in sept 2013 2 weeks before the exam changed to the current version (failed by 10 points) and had a simlation which redistribute static routes was required.

Strange. I didn't have any redistribution on my exam, but did run into a question that was CCNP level. I have heard that Cisco will sometimes add ungraded questions to see how people do (for future inclusion maybe).