Options

Personality types and IT jobs?

CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
So I came across an interesting read about the IT jobs and personality types.

...So, what personality are you and do you think it works well with your current job in IT?

Free personality test, type descriptions, relationship and career advice | 16Personalities

Comments

• Options
    BTW, I am an “ENFP” and I struggle at work if I don’t have constant change and action.

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    INTP, which apparently only makes up 3% of the population. This is probably the most accurate personality test I've taken. The description is pretty accurate for me.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    ENTP-A "The Debater"
  • Options
    anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ESTJ-A, the executive. I read the summary and it actually seems to summarize a lot about me.
  • Options
    Wow, so far all over the place!
  • Options
    fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ENTJ and at times, INTJ.
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    INTP-A , The Logician. Description sounded fairly accurate to me
  • Options
    MagmadragoonMagmadragoon Member Posts: 172 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ISTJ ,Logistician - meeting goals no matter the personal cost.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ESTJ-T, Sentinel. Actually pretty spot on. And good considering I am a regulator haha
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    consul (esfj-t)

It nailed me.
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    consul (esfj-t)

It nailed me.

Its kinda scary how close it gets huh. ESFJ is an interesting fit in IT.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    ISTJ Personality (“The Logistician”). One of the few times I agree with the results of an online test.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @ CyberS it's always been kind of fun.

Not belonging somewhere but still making it work. Leveraging the skills and attributes I possess against other's that clearly don't have those. I'm very unique and for that I standout which helps me move ahead and receive a lot of good recognition. My servant type attitude and managing style really seems to be well received by the development teams I have managed in the past and currently.
  • Options
    doobudoobu Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ooo. Not bad.

COMMANDER (ENTJ-A)
  • Options
    ENTPs are fortunate in that they have a wide range of capabilities. They are generally good at anything which has captured their interest. ENTPs are likely to be successful in many different careers. Since they have a lot of options open to them, ENTPs will do well to choose professions which allow them a lot of personal freedom where they can use their creativity to generate new ideas and solve problems. They will not be completely happy in positions which are regimented or confining.

But then it says this

Without fulfilling work and the freedom to use their mind most productively, ENTPs can quickly tire of a limiting situation. For this reason an open road toward success is an extremely important factor in the ENTPs life. Some, given a little opportunity, will clear one for themselves, but of all the types, it is the ENTP who has most need to be aware of the life and career situations they might commit to without sufficient thought for the future.

Maybe that's why I keep changing my mind on my career weekly ?
  • Options
    f16jetmanf16jetman Member Posts: 108
    I am ENFP as well. Pretty spot on. Though it is hard to answer self evaluating questions with total honesty, I think I am a ENFP for sure.
    I picked the wrong profession. Too much studying. :study:
    [FONT=&amp]Thus says the Lord: “Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, [/FONT][FONT=&amp]but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord.” Jeremiah 9:23-24[/FONT]
  • Options
    10Linefigure10Linefigure Member Posts: 368 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ISTJ, most of it was accurate, how intersting.
    CCNP R&S, Security+
    B.S. Geography - Business Minor
    MicroMasters - CyberSecurity
    Professional Certificate - IT Project Management
  • Options
    tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
    INTP - I refer to this as my default setting.
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Personality: INTP ("The Logician")
    Variant: Assertive
    Role: Analyst

It is accurate, but
    as there's nothing they'd be more unhappy about than being "common".

This part is wrong, I love being a common person.
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ESTJ-A: The Executive
    Role: Sentinel
    Strategy: People Mastery
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    doobudoobu Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I kinda like being the only Commander profile. :D

Mwaha! It's pretty accurate. Nothing like dueling and winning. Getting bloody and making money.
  • Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    That's interesting. I've always been an ISTP up until this test, however I can see that ISTJ is very accurate for my current personality traits.
  • Options
    abnmiabnmi Member Posts: 66 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I tested out as,
    Your personality type: “The Logistician” (ISTJ-T)
    Strength of individual traits: Introverted: 70%, Observant: 26%, Thinking: 44%, Judging: 55%, Turbulent: 33%.
    Strategy: Constant Improvement
  • Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Already knew due to my useless psych double major that I'm an ENFP. But then, you would have self-selection bias from asking on a board like this. I.e. a typical INTJ is more likely to be on slashdot or bug report forums than here. Meanwhile, the nature of this forum would appeal to either the social types (ENFP, ENTP), or those often looking to further their career (xSTJ, for example).

On topic: I get distracted by shinies and keep trying to learn 3+ things at the same time. I also never master stuff, but am on my way to becoming a pretty decent jack of all trades.
  • Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Well I took it again and now I'm back to ISTP. lol

I will just go with ISTP.
  • Options
    xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ISTP-A

icon_cool.gif
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
  • Options
    linuxabuserlinuxabuser Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ISTJ-A

Thanks for the link.
  • Options
    jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ESTJ-A Executive matches perfect since I was in an executive type position at one point.

Personality: ESTJ ("The Executive")
    Variant: Assertive
  • Options
    LeBroke wrote: »
    Already knew due to my useless psych double major that I'm an ENFP. But then, you would have self-selection bias from asking on a board like this. I.e. a typical INTJ is more likely to be on slashdot or bug report forums than here. Meanwhile, the nature of this forum would appeal to either the social types (ENFP, ENTP), or those often looking to further their career (xSTJ, for example).

On topic: I get distracted by shinies and keep trying to learn 3+ things at the same time. I also never master stuff, but am on my way to becoming a pretty decent jack of all trades.

It’s kind of scary how predictable people are according to these types. Psychology seems like an interesting field, I always wondered what the field would be like. There I go again on a tangent.

I also have a very hard time staying on track between studying for the CISM, starting a business and being an officer in the military lol. Sometimes I think about maybe starting coding, it might give me the freedom to build things and use my creativity for projects. All I know is that in 5-10 years I find myself doing something completely different than I was the previous, but always making more money. Only time will tell.
  • Options
    Cyberscum wrote: »
    It’s kind of scary how predictable people are according to these types.Psychology seems like an interesting field, I always wondered what the field would be like.There I go again on a tangent.

I also have a very hard time staying on track between studying for the CISM, starting a business and being an officer in the military lol.Sometimes I think about maybe starting coding, it might give me the freedom to build things and use my creativity for projects. All I know is that in 5-10 years I find myself doing something completely different than I was the previous, but always making more money.Only time will tell.

You sure your not ENTP? You sound exactly like me. Last Month I was going to be an Enterprise Architect and passed my TOGAF. This month I want to be in Cyber Security and am taking my CSSLP. I am also taking my MCSE SQL DP and MCSD Web app this year along with my two master's degrees icon_razz.gif