Options

How Do You Feel About the Shon Harris Practice Exam Books?

RobicusRobicus Member Posts: 144 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi ya'll,

I'm a week out from my test date and I've been using Transcender, CCC, and MH quiz sites. I recently started going through the second edition (2012) of the Shon Harris CISSP Practice Exam book and having more of a rough time.

Does anyone else have experience with this practice exam book? If so, what do you think? Has anyone picked up the third addition (released March 2nd, 2015).

Thanks!
What's Next? eLearnSecurity's eCIR

MSISE, CISSP, GSE (#202), GSEC, GCIA, GCIH, GPEN, GMON, GCFE, GCCC, GCPM, eJPT, AWS CCP

Comments

• Options
    CodyyCodyy Member Posts: 223 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I ordered the 3rd edition last week and used it for the first time today. It's definitely a little tougher than the MH and CCCure quizes I've taken(think I'm averaging around 10% lower per domain). No clue if the questions are similarly written as the ones on the exam, but I've read 3-4 solid reviews about the book from those that have already taken the exam.

I think I'm also scoring lower because I'm using Conrad and Cybrary.IT to study, and then taking Shon's quizzes, I believe some of her questions are based off of material that only her AIO book really dives into ..because a few of her questions refer to things that I've never even heard of.
  • Options
    Good information, Codyy! I'm definitely scoring lower, too. I've only taken the quizzes for 6 of the domains, and currently averaging 67%. Ouch! These are definitely tougher.

MSISE, CISSP, GSE (#202), GSEC, GCIA, GCIH, GPEN, GMON, GCFE, GCCC, GCPM, eJPT, AWS CCP
  • Options
    wyntechwyntech Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I did every question in the new 3rd edition book and I found it to be an excellent resource. It was one of the last things I did the week before my exam and I found it to be both a great review and a chance to build up some mental stamina for the test and even learn a few new concepts. Don't forget to check out the hotspot questions on the included CD. They are also good practise.

*edit* with regards to scores, I was coming in at between 70-80% (and generally closer to 70) on these questions. They are definitely tough!
  • Options
    Thanks for the information, wyntech! I just searched and found your passed thread, too. Loads of good information that you shared there! I'm scoring well on the Transcender and MH quizzes, and as you pointed out on you passed thread, these seemed to be good resources. I know, I know... no practice test will really prepare you for the real showdown. :)

Nonetheless, thank for the info!

• Options
    wyntechwyntech Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Robicus wrote: »
    Nonetheless, thank for the info!

You're welcome! Good luck and let us know how you do.

One more thing to consider is when you start your exam to use the sheet they provide to write down a few of the things you memorized so you don't need to try and remember them 2 or 3 hours in when you're already tired.
  • Options
    CodyyCodyy Member Posts: 223 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Robicus wrote: »
    Good information, Codyy! I'm definitely scoring lower, too. I've only taken the quizzes for 6 of the domains, and currently averaging 67%. Ouch! These are definitely tougher.

I'm actually averaging 67%(miss 10ish out of 30) on most of them as well, just finished Crypto and scored a 67. Not sure if that's a good sign or bad for us, but at least I know someone's right there with me lol.
  • Options
    newjacknewjack Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The questions are good and will get you to thinking on a practical level as to the material covered. No practice test will ever be able to mirror what is on the test, but they can help you in studying and recalling the material.

I liked the book given that it had the insight that Harris provided without much of the fluff and dry humor of the AiO.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna