Options

Getting necessary network/server experience...

BoneSpurBoneSpur Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello all. I have a question for all the wonderful people on this forum. I have my A+ and about to take the N+ test. I currently work as a level 2 help desk analyst. Issue is that I want to move into more of a network admin role. I have some experience with this, but the Network manager doesn't let anyone touch anything other than himself and the other Network Admin. I want to get more hands on experience so I can take a job outside my current company but how do I show this experience on a resume without lying as I do not want to mis-represent myself. Some of the jobs request a CCNA so I understand that I may need to pursue that.

Basically, I am stuck in my current role. I need to move up and jobs I am looking at have a laundry list of requirements. I normally meet about 75% of requirements.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Calvin
All the effort in the world won't matter if you're not inspired. - Chuck Palahniuk

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Just have to find someone willing to give you a chance to touch the good stuff.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□

ohhhhhh yeaaaaa icon_redface.gif

Get your networking certs and show him your putting in the work to learn the stuff. If they still don't give you an opportunity to grow you will need to look at other companies. Just another reason why there is so much job hopping in IT.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Try researching a cheap CCNA study lab. There are plenty of articles on that topic on Techexams and Google. If you can't get the hands-on experience at work, getting it at home is the next best thing. Also, you can be studying for the CCNA simultaneously, which will help your career prospects.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    :: CCNA:::

Drop the net + and concentrate on the CCNA. Talk to your boss for any possible increase in roles and discuss your desires. If not get your CCNA and look else where.

There is a reason why most jobs require CCNA or MCSA or so much experience. You must know best practice, configurations and know how certain protocol work or how to config along with how to tshoot it. If you have a net + it's not going to teach you much about proprietary tshoot and configurarion . Also to be honest other techs don't have time holding your hands and spoon feeding you stuff. You have to come in at a certain level of knowledge.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    meh
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    Go setup a network for a non-profit. They get free labor you get verifiable experience. Win-Win
  • Options
    aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    Don't worry about the Network+.

While I don't recommend that you take the Network+ exam, I do recommend that you look at these free Network+ videos, as they will help you as you study for the CCENT/CCNA.

Professor Messer's CompTIA N10-005 Network+ Training | Professor Messer - CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Linux, Microsoft Technology Training

As far as what exams to take

Go straight for the CCENT/CCNA... which I recommend that you take the two exams instead of the one

CCNA Routing and Switching - IT Certifications and Career Paths - Cisco Systems

If you can't build your own lab, use a tool like Packet Tracer...

You can also look to see if your local community college offers a Cisco class that would include the training materials in the tuition cost.
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • Options
    srjsrj Member Posts: 58 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Have you asked the network admins if you can shadow them? I don't blame them for not giving you free reign, but you might be able to gain that trust over time. I'd be happy to teach anyone that asked me if they could shadow me. None of the help desk employees have ever asked. This is typically why people stay in help desk.
  • Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Can confirm. Best advice ever. Old boss had some nice 18 year old Scotch. Johny Walker Green and Glenlivet 18 yr. old come to mind. I more than touched it icon_lol.gif