Options

Anyone ever had your company reduce your salary/wage?

langenoirlangenoir Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
If so why?

My situation is that I live in NYC right now and work remote from home (Brooklyn). We have offices in the city (Manhattan), but I’m not required to be there or as far as I know even be in the NYC Metro. I have gone to Ks to visit with family for weeks and it really didn’t make a difference as long as I still did my job. My girlfriend and I are thinking about moving, hey NYC is expensive. So she said to me, “What if they drop your wage?” The comment being in relation to the fact that most cities in America have a lower cost of living than NYC. This sounds utterly ridiculous to me, but hey I work for IBM. Anything is possible. I know we have other people on the team who sometimes move around, but I’m afraid to bring this up to HR. I don’t want to give them a reason to drop my salary.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Was anything about your address written in to the formal offer you accepted? I can't imagine this would play in to it if you already have an agreement.
  • Options
    ramrunner800ramrunner800 Member Posts: 238
    I would find this very strange unless I had a base salary and a cost of living modifier written into my contract, like the federal government does. Even then, the COL modifier ought to be attached to the location of the work, not where you choose to live when you do it.
    Currently Studying For: GXPN
  • Options
    BlackBeret wrote: »
    Was anything about your address written in to the formal offer you accepted? I can't imagine this would play in to it if you already have an agreement.

That's a good thought. i should dig all that up and look it over. I don't remember anything about that though.
  • Options
    MideMide Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Unless there was something specifically stipulated in your contract/employment agreement, I don't think the company cares where you live.
  • Options
    ashernatanelashernatanel Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I don't think it's likely. When I moved to San Francisco I received a pay bump due to the cost of living. When I moved back a few years later, there was no reduction whatsoever.
  • Options
    I don't think it's likely. When I moved to San Francisco I received a pay bump due to the cost of living. When I moved back a few years later, there was no reduction whatsoever.

Well, that's the best of both worlds. :)
  • Options
    aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    If that happened to me, I would be on the way out...
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,