Options

Should I do Net+ before CCENT?

jerseyIT92jerseyIT92 Banned Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I'm about 1 year into IT. So, it's not like I have a crazy amount of experience. I just bought a CCNA book, but not sure what to do. Should I do the Net+ before I do the CCENT? Keep in mind, I have pretty much 0 cisco knowledge. I've worked with Packet Tracer a few times, that's about it.

So, do you think I should do Net+ first? I'm not sure what to do at this point. I'm just wondering what to do here. I bought the CCNA book, but now I'm a little nervous about it. I just kind of feel like a loser right now because I have to ask this.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You should learn the basics, but I wouldn't waste the money on a Net+ certification.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    You should learn the basics, but I wouldn't waste the money on a Net+ certification.

You're right, maybe I was just getting nervous.
  • Options
    Justin-Justin- Member Posts: 300
    Learning the networking fundamentals can really help when you're studying for the CCNA. But even if you don't, you will just need to spend a little more time while you go through the book. Watching CBT nuggets really helps (if you buy the videos for the CCNA series). They are very helpful. Goodluck.
  • Options
    Justin- wrote: »
    Learning the networking fundamentals can really help when you're studying for the CCNA. But even if you don't, you will just need to spend a little more time while you go through the book. Watching CBT nuggets really helps (if you buy the videos for the CCNA series). They are very helpful. Goodluck.

you must be psychic, because I was just looking a the CBT nuggets website! Man, it looks so cool.... but so expensive icon_sad.gif Do you think pluralsight would be good instead? It's just so expensive for CBT man.
  • Options
    SimridSimrid Member Posts: 327
    If i'm honest, I thought I would stop my CCENT studies and go for Network+. I got talked out of it, was so happy I didn't go down that route. It's better to challenge yourself, keep yourself engaged. Going down the Cisco pathway will open so many doors for you. Good choice.

Some good resources are CBTNuggets, Chris Bryant (personally not a fan but very informative), Todd Lammells book and of course, either hands on equipment, packet tracer or GNS3! :)

Good luck!
    Network Engineer | London, UK | Currently working on: CCIE Routing & Switching

sriddle.co.uk
    uk.linkedin.com/in/simonriddle
  • Options
    Codeman6669Codeman6669 Member Posts: 227
    I did N+ then CCENT.

This is going to be dependent on your level of competency to learn this and your experience.
    I did N+ first mainly because when i was looking into certifications the cisco classes were full and the N+ was available. Im glad i did N+ first, but once you do it, then do the ccent. The CCENT is harder no doubt, lots of subnetting, and cisco only thing. If you have trouble with the N+ then you will have more trouble with the ccent, lots of overlapping info however. Personally i dont know lol. The N+ got me a interview where i work now, and the CCENT helped me move up. It just worked out. If money is not much of a issue do the N+ then CCENT. If money is tight, just do ccent then go to ccna. Either way end of the day, make the ccna your goal no matter how you get there. I seen people fall flat on their faces with CISCO learning, but do better with Network+ then again sometimes i wish i had never done the N+ lol

good luck
  • Options
    SurfriderSurfrider Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    As I am pretty much self taught, I am very happy I did Net+ first. After recently studying and passing CCENT, much of the books (Lammle / Odom) assume you already know quite a bit. Net+ certainly helped in that situation! If someone has experience and is somewhat comfortable with networking basics, then go ahead and try the CCENT study material. If you find yourself lost, go pick up the N+.

That's my advice.
  • Options
    crazboy84crazboy84 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Most of whats on the N+ has nothing to do with whats on the CCNA.
  • Options
    particle1particle1 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    crazboy84 wrote: »
    Most of whats on the N+ has nothing to do with whats on the CCNA.

Agreed. I am about to take my CCENT and N+ was completely different. I am glad I did it for the fundamental knowledge/ to fill in the blanks.
  • Options
    cygnus21cygnus21 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I usually suggest reading through a good N+ book even if you do not take the test. The fundamentals are in there and will help keep you from getting overwhelmed in CCNA studies. They are in the CCENT curriculum as well but it goes through it much faster and with a bit more depth than N+.
    WGU B.S.IT - Network Design and Management :
    Courses Completed: Transferred: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, IWC1, IWT1 Completed: GAC1, AXV1, TTV1, WFV1, BNC1, BNC1
    Courses Needed : LAT1, LUT1, HHT1, QLT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1, ORC1, LET1, BOV1, TPV1, ABV1, TNV1, TSV1, AHV1, AIV1, BHV1, BIV1
  • Options
    Codeman6669Codeman6669 Member Posts: 227
    cygnus21 wrote: »
    I usually suggest reading through a good N+ book even if you do not take the test. The fundamentals are in there and will help keep you from getting overwhelmed in CCNA studies. They are in the CCENT curriculum as well but it goes through it much faster and with a bit more depth than N+.

this exactly. I did N+ then CCENT (test monday for INCD2), glad i did N+ first. More solid foundation, ad it let me concentrate on the harder points of the CCENT, and recaps the OSI layer. Its good, because you will need to know that 100%. The N+ even glazes over topics you will have for the CCNA but dont go much into detail on it. The ccent wont. Also I seen jobs request a N+ and not a CCNA... Sounds strange but N+ is vender neutral and some prefer it.