Options

Veteran Resume, Career Transition

Moongoon762Moongoon762 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm a couple months out from separation and have most of my paperwork ready to start the job hunting process. I figured I'd post my resume up and see what you guys thought. I've followed previous posters threads, but haven't come across anyone trying to advertise their "soft skills". I found taking these "soft skills" from the military and trying to apply them to a possible opportunity was a bit of a challenge.

My only specialty knowledge is from building gaming PC's over the years to save money. I should be ready to take the A+ exam in two weeks. This resume is tailored for an entry level job while enrolled full-time in college.

Comments

• Options
    akatsuki91akatsuki91 Member Posts: 22 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When I was separating (6 months ago) we went through TAPS, well they call it Transition GPS now which didn't touch much on that topic. The resume classes weren't all that great either. As far as I know "soft skills" from the military were things like critical thinking, problem solving, adaptability, leadership and things like that. I'm sure others will chime in to help critique your resume. Also check out https://www.hireheroesusa.org/. They will write you a resume and help with other stuff all for free.
  • Options
    Moongoon762Moongoon762 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just completed TAPS (GPS icon_rolleyes.gif) 2 weeks ago. They gave us some pretty good literature on resume and cover letter writing. I was really surprised at the amount of social media stuff they covered too. The class overall got me cleaning up my Facebook and finishing my LinkedIn account.
  • Options
    akatsuki91akatsuki91 Member Posts: 22 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That was basically how ours was. It was a lot about LinkedIn that I didn't know about. But if you contact that organisation they will help tailor your resume for specific job postings and get you in contact with recruiters if they know any in your area. I got a helpdesk position and I used to fix people in the navy not computers. Also some soft skills are listed in your evals. I'm not sure what they are called in your branch but its a lot of info on them depending on how you look at it.
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    It sounds like you have a solid exit strategy. The minute you stop receiving Gov paychecks, apply for unemployment (with your length of time in service, you'll easily qualify for 1 year minimum). The unemployment + your GI Bill housing allowance (once you've been certified at your school) will be a considerable amount of money to keep you on your feet. That will allow you to find volunteer opportunities or internships to gain IT experience. I've found that local non profits are always in need of an extra set of hands, including charities. That's what I did when I ended my active duty service 4 years ago, and it worked for me.
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    Do you have a clearance?