Options

Certification Paths/Skills that are in demand

breakfixnybreakfixny Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

I'm currently working on my WGU Degree in IT and honestly don't know what to pursue as far as certifications at this point. My goal is to work towards becoming a System Administrator and when looking at job descriptions i see that they require so much knowledge but i wonder how people could master all the skills.

Any system administrators that are currently in the job field or anyone could give me a better idea of what is important or relevant for a system administrator and what certifications would be important in this field.

I appreciate any insight that could be provided. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Simple constantly attempt to expand your job roles, apply for new jobs, moving up to a higher tier of support, and studying certs. In IT you never want to sit still in one spot for long unless you really love it. As for the system admin type certs it's the usual..depends. Just get a couple years of IT experience in and work on some vendor specific certs. If you can't break into system admin as a fresh grad get ready to work your way up and pay your dues. Eventually a company will give you a shot at some type of postion. Once your foot is in the door you will see how your skill set will go from 1 line to a paragraph at that point of you kept at it you should be in the loop for some admin roles.
  • Options
    I have actually done over 3 years of Technical Support/Help Desk work and have a Comptia A+ and Network+ on my belt right now. I'm more concerned on the skillsets that are important for me right now. I get mixed advice from different people so i would like to know in the current trends what would be the best skills to have to at least put myself out there and not set myself up for failure.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The various MCSE paths are always in demand (Server, Hyper-V, Exchange, etc). VMware VCP-DCV and VCP-DT. Linux certs and knowledge is also in demand, and growing. LOTS to learn and work on.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    Are companies going to be migrating to Windows 8 or Windows 10 in the upcoming years?
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Windows 8, probably not.

Windows 10 and Server Next, has yet to be determined.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well 3 years in help desk / desktop support without knowing much about an enterprise environment is already setting yourself up for failure. At that point you should have been concern about an increase role of duty or the technology that is supported. As scrabiee mention those are your path for admin. Linux, Windows or VmWare. Pick your choice, the typical route is Windows Server then you may branch out to VMware or you can become a Linux guy.
  • Options
    tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm looking toward virtualization, cloud computing, and security. Picking up skills that will be useful in these areas.
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    Certification route for System Administrators?
    a.) MCSA
    b.) VCP5
    c.) RedHat

I would start with A. 3 tests all obtainable within 12 months.

Then get B. Should be obtainable within 3 months. You are required to take a VMware course before taking the test.

And if you want...study for C. I've seen some LINUX jobs advertised.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think the ones listed above are great tech certifications. I also think with projects being such a hot item for the last 15 years, agile project management is becoming a good one as well. Agile is starting to penetrate IT in general and process.
  • Options
    mjnk77mjnk77 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
    anhtran35 wrote: »
    Certification route for System Administrators?
    a.) MCSA
    b.) VCP5
    c.) RedHat

I would start with A. 3 tests all obtainable within 12 months.

Then get B. Should be obtainable within 3 months. You are required to take a VMware course before taking the test.

And if you want...study for C. I've seen some LINUX jobs advertised.

I agree with anhtran. Good luck!
  • Options
    XavorXavor Member Posts: 161
    Use your help desk experience to choose a path with more responsibility and focus on something. As you move up you'll see a blend of tech so being flexible with server and desktop support, operating systems like windows and linux, networking, and virtualization will all be required.

You say system administration, so go either Windows or Linux. For either you should know conceptually how major services such as Active Directory and DNS work together in domains, DHCP, NTP, and networking (basic subnetting, vlans, troubleshooting).

If you do Microsoft, MCSE is a good goal with a server focus. This will blend with VMware and/or Hyper-V and you should expect to see it.

If you go Linux, RHCSA with an understanding of other distros. You will still see VMware, but also others like KVM (OpenStack).

A solid grasp of networking will help with either, and the CCNA should do.

Then just get better at that role, go to the next step above. You don't have to get the next cert, but aim for knowing the material. Work will help you narrow down your weak areas. Certifications are more for getting past the HR rep.

I don't think the MCSA, VCP5, and RHCSA are attainable within 12 months though, but that's my opinion.