Pay Attention in School

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
During my time studying for the CISSP I had flashbacks to my time in college. I was a great student, but lets just say the effort could have been better. As I reviewed various topics I realized that I had seen quite literally all of it in college. My program definitely mapped to each domain and if I had perhaps tried a bit harder I would have been in a bit better shape. Mind you I have been out of college for almost seven years at this point. But my course load covered IT Security Auditing, Risk Assessment, BCP/DR, Networking, and IT Security. So if you're in school, heed this post and really concentrate. If you're heading back, get ready to hit those books and kick some butt!
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    During my time studying for the CISSP I had flashbacks to my time in college. I was a great student, but lets just say the effort could have been better. As I reviewed various topics I realized that I had seen quite literally all of it in college. My program definitely mapped to each domain and if I had perhaps tried a bit harder I would have been in a bit better shape. Mind you I have been out of college for almost seven years at this point. But my course load covered IT Security Auditing, Risk Assessment, BCP/DR, Networking, and IT Security. So if you're in school, heed this post and really concentrate. If you're heading back, get ready to hit those books and kick some butt!

I couldn't agree more with you. I have been out of college for over 6-7 years now also and like you I could have done a lot better when I was in class. I don't remember where I read this so I'm going to paraphrase here but besides the course knowledge that school/college gives, the other most important thing to remember is that you will not learn everything at school, but school will teach you how to learn and the learning processes someone should apply well beyond their school years. I think a lot of people here indirectly have that skill now and are applying it to their certification studies. They know how to research, how to study, how to do homework, how to approach studying from different angels etc etc. We might not have been the best at school but we all learn valuable lessons.
  • IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yup I kept all my IT school material. I also stress to people to get certified while your in school taking the course. Do not wait until you are finish !!!