What Virtual Machine Application do you use?

NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
Title says it all. I recently bought a new computer and need to install a new VM application. I've used Hyper-V in the past and debating on whether I want to spend the $99 to upgrade my computer to Windows 8.1 Pro to get that or look at other programs. Just curious on what others here use? I really don't want spend anymore then that $99...

Also, this will just be for my testing/studying purposes.

Thanks! icon_thumright.gif

Comments

• Judderman88Judderman88 Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hyper V. It does me nicely.
    I keep meaning to take a look at VM Ware but just haven't got around to it yet.
    Virtual Box is ok for basic tinkering
  • tmcgtmcg Banned Posts: 127
    VMware Workstation I personally use, has features to take snapshots etc.. If you want something free vmware player is free and really good.
  • joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    VMware player for free
    VMware workstation if you have a license (go take your VCP!)
    VMware ESXi if you have a spare machine

Currently using workstation and ESXi (my ESXi host is only dual core/16GB, desktop is 8 cores/16GB)
  • TrifidwTrifidw Member Posts: 281
    Is there still a free version of Vmware player? I thought they charge for it now?

I use Workstation 11 but they are getting a bit greedy with prices imo. I do use it a lot though.
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I use workstation (because it was free through school). I also use Hyper-v at work in our sand beds. Either one, honestly I am new enough at this point that learning how to use each was the hardest part. Once you get them setup I have no preference for labbing.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    tmcg wrote: »
    VMware Workstation I personally use, has features to take snapshots etc.. If you want something free vmware player is free and really good.

I'll have to take a look at VMware Player later today. I was looking at VMware Workstation, that was until I saw it costs like $250...
  • JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'll have to take a look at VMware Player later today. I was looking at VMware Workstation, that was until I saw it costs like $250...

If you want something free, then take a look at VirtualBox as well.
  • dave0212dave0212 Member Posts: 287
    VMware Workstation but just because I have 3 licenses (different versions though), you used to get one every time you got a VCP cert :)
    This week I have achieved unprecedented levels of unverifiable productivity

Working on
    Learning Python and OSCP
  • philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    I use virtualbox its free and always works.
  • daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hyper-v works well and I am always using the snapshot features. Makes it great when your testing different environments
  • Rocket ImpossibleRocket Impossible Member Posts: 104
    I use VirtualBox mainly. It definitely makes more sense to use Hyper-V or anything VMWare, because they can help you get familiar with tools you will see in the real world.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    philz1982 wrote: »
    I use virtualbox its free and always works.

Same here.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.