Options

Too much to choose from!

NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
Does anyone else have the problem with sticking to one area of IT? I'm still fairly new in IT (only been doing it a few years) but I want to learn about everything! Virtualization sounds like cool field to get into, love learning about how networks work together, interested on servers and how to set everything up to work together, learning about Security and how to protect (and get into) systems sounds pretty sweet as well, and I even enjoy programming...

I think I have a hard time sticking to one thing, I'll be learning about one thing, then be like "oh look at that shiny thing over there! thats look pretty cool!" Anyone else run in to this problem? Makes it hard to focus on one thing when studying sometimes...

Comments

• Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    I have the same problem...I study for one subject, then think to myself...that looks cool and jump over to it. Its really tough for me to focus on long term objectives when it comes to certifications. When I started here on the forums, I was going for CCENT, then Net +, then VCA, then VCP, then RHCSA, then Server +, and now MCSA 2012. Its taken me a month and a half just to schedule my 70-410 exam lol.

I recently sat down and wrote out my goals as well as how to achieve them. Its helping me keep focus on what I'm trying to accomplish.
  • Options
    ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Im with you on this! I want my CCNA, MCSA and whatever else all at the same time. Its very easy to get distracted. I just try to focus on one at a time. I also do a goal schedule. This year I have Storage+ (to renew my CompTIA certs), CCENT/CCNA and CCNA Security. CCNA Security would renew my CompTIA certs, just wont get it finished in time. icon_sad.gif. Next year I am thinking MCSA 2012 and the year after that, CCNP.
    2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
    CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You just love this stuff, which is a very good thing. Yes, for employment you should focus on things. But, a sys admin that knows networking, servers, scripting, programming, virtualization, etc.? Very valuable. Just make sure that you're not a mile wide and an inch deep. Be well rounded, but know the material fairly well (or know of the good resources to fill in the gaps... Technet, Google, etc. is a huge help, if you know what you're looking for).

I've gotten compliments from my boss because I want to learn things from so many different realms in IT. He says he likes that I love the field, and not just as a job. Most of our team is like that, though. We get in a new model of laptop or whatever, and we're all excited and have to check it out as it's being unboxed. Sadly, they don't share my enthusiasm with Windows 8 and now Windows 10... :)
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Not really anymore. Once you mature and start to form your niche you stop dabbling as much. At least that is the case for me.

I like to write code and design applications/tools and study agile project management studies, not that awful manufacturing style nonsense. That's about my scope now, of course if there is a new concept or a project I'll work with whatever.

I do notice the guys/gals who seem to get there act together earlier and lock into a niche seem to make more money. (From my perspective)
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have the same problem. For me I want to see how all of the pieces fit together. I am never happy when I get A to connect to B and the boss says it's good enough. I want to know why it worked.

I passed my CCNA last year. I have one class to take in the fall to finish my associates. So I am trying to plan out my path from here.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I actually have the same problem but within the security specialization. I am really good at the GRC and audit side, but I like the technical side, and also have interest in programming and secure development.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    I actually have the same problem but within the security specialization. I am really good at the GRC and audit side, but I like the technical side, and also have interest in programming and secure development.

Same here JoJo. I think to be good at Security you need to be good at almost everything in order to secure it. And once you do that you are good at auditing too. Problem with that though is that companies don't have 1 department or 1 person that does all that so people like us never given the chance to do everything but instead are asked to pick and that's the tough part.