Options

vCenter server is not displayed in the inventory list

smailksmailk Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am new to virtualization. I have installed the ESXi 5.5 on a PowerEdge 2950 server. Then I installed vCenter server on a windows 2008 standard (not a domain controller) machine. I can connect to ESXi with a vsphere client. Though, when I log in to the vsphere web client, I don't see anything in the inventory list. My goal is to install Autolab on ESXi. I believe I need to create a datacenter first and then add the ESXi host. Now, shouldn't it display the vcenter server in the list or am I missing something here?

Comments

• Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Log in with the vCenter local account and give permission to what ever account you want to use.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Is the vCenter server virtual?
    Did you add the ESXi host to vCenter?
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    I will try iBrokIT's suggestion.

vCenter sever is not virtual. It is installed on a windows 2008 (non-domain) physical box. I haven't created the datacenter or added the ESXi. I thought vCenter whould appear in the list.

vsphere client and vsphere web client are also on the same windows 2008 server.
  • Options
    Your vCenter will not show in the inventory list since it is not virtual.
  • Options
    Ok I didn't know that. Can I create a datacenter without selecting a vcenter server?
  • Options
    smailk wrote: »
    Ok I didn't know that. Can I create a datacenter without selecting a vcenter server?

I see what you're trying to do. My mistake. I thought you were trying to see the vCenter VM in the inventory list.

Point your vSphere client to the fqdn or IP of your vCenter server and log in using administrator@vsphere.local.
  • Options
    That is how I connected in the first place.
    The URL shows:
    https://192.168.1.190:9443/vsphere-client/#extensionld=vsphere.core.viHome.domainView
    and it shows "Administrator@VSPHERE.LOCAL" to the left of Help.

192.168.1.190 is the windows 2008 server where vcenter is installed. the vsphere web client is running on the same machine.
  • Options
    I uninstalled vCenter and reinstalled using the individual component method. It works now. Now I am installing Autolab...