Options

Walking on egg shells.

f16jetmanf16jetman Member Posts: 108
I have been at my new job for about a two months. I am still uncertain about how I feel about my job. I don't love it and I don't hate it. I work for a small MSP that has 3 techs plus the owner. Most of the clients are charter schools, so we have to make sure they are ready for all of their computer based testing and whatnot.

Anyways, the senior tech is a mystery to me. He talks down to me and the other tech when we don't know something that he regards as simple. To be honest he can be a plain jerk at times, but at other times he can be pretty cool. Just depends on his mood. He has been with the company for 5 years and is the "Troubleshooting Tech" but he is not in a management position and gets angry when we transfer calls to him.

Another thing is I have no clear job description. When I do not have assigned tickets I study my WGU course and try to find stuff to do.

So this post is dumb and kinda useless but it is nice to vent. I think I am going to start looking for another job in a few months. I am getting experience, but I do need to earn more money and I do not seeing this happen in such a small business. Oh well!
I picked the wrong profession. Too much studying. :study:
[FONT=&amp]Thus says the Lord: “Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, [/FONT][FONT=&amp]but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord.” Jeremiah 9:23-24[/FONT]

Comments

• Options
    AwesomeGarrettAwesomeGarrett Member Posts: 257
    Keep studying and jump ship as soon you feel you have the skill-set to do so.

Me not knowing something I should is one thing, but it sounds like you're pretty low on the food chain there. Therefore, not only are you earning very little but you won't be in the best environment to learn.

Or maybe I'm just easily irritated by people with that type of attitude.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Recommend he takes these
    Latuda (lurasidone HCl)‎

In all seriousness this is a great opportunity to build a friendship. Running from conflict as your go to card is a poor strategy. Try to work with them and learn from this. It's a painful but great learning experience.

HTH
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    Ah, the guy who knows everything but is too bothered to share it. I hate those people.

I have been at my current job for 3 years and I consider myself extremely knowledgable of the network enterprise and anything "Desktop" related. I am constantly swarmed by questions about "how this process works" or "how do I do this again?" I welcome these questions, so long as the techs are listening to my advice and applying it. When you have a wealth of knowledge, it should be SHARED. I have seen so many problems in our program headquarters where the technicians do not communicate or document. You know what happens when the knowledgable individuals leave and they have not been communicating? That knowledge goes out the door and is lost. It is shameful and selfish not to educate your teammates. You work for the same company, support the same customers, so work together.

The fact that you find things to do when faced with downtime is great. It shows you can work with minimal supervision and take the initiative. You will go far with that attitude. Take this job for what it is: good experience to help you move up in the world. Take advantage of downtime and get your education, certs, etc. done and you will have no problem achieving a better, higher paying job.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    f16jetmanf16jetman Member Posts: 108
    In all seriousness this is a great opportunity to build a friendship. Running from conflict as your go to card is a poor strategy. Try to work with them and learn from this. It's a painful but great learning experience.

I joke around with him and I always, ALWAYS, try to be courteous and friendly we have even bought each other drinks and snacks, but when he treats us like we are kids it just plain irks me.

The other tech is a great guy. He told me that when he first started the senior tech did everything he could to get him fired. The senior tech told me the same thing on a separate occasion. There have been many people I do not enjoy working with but I have never tried to get someone fired. That is just plain wrong.

Sometimes I do not even want to ask him how to do something because that way he acts. But if I do something he sometimes gets angry I didn't check with him. He cannot be satisfied.

I am trying to learn everything I can and I do not run from my problems.
    I picked the wrong profession. Too much studying. :study:
    [FONT=&amp]Thus says the Lord: “Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, [/FONT][FONT=&amp]but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord.” Jeremiah 9:23-24[/FONT]
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @ F16 you are in Month 2, you got years to go. You won't know what you have until at least year 1, probably year 2.
  • Options
    IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I use to have those issues early on. What I did was not ask him any questions unless absolutely necessary. When they gripe about taking esculations I would tell them stop crying and do your job, simple as that.