Options

"Best time" for interview is during a scheduled cert exam: Advice?

thatguy67thatguy67 Member Posts: 344 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hello,

I have a certification exam scheduled for Wednesday morning. I got an email today from this company regarding an interview. The person said that for an interview, Wednesday mornings "work best". Due to the exam's duration and the distance to the interview, I can't do both. He did give an option to meet in the late afternoon on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays.

I am wondering what the best option should be:

-Should I reschedule the exam and agree for Wednesday morning?
-Should I agree to meet them on an afternoon? Should I mention the exam as the reason for being unavailable Wednesday morning? If so, should it be before or after the exam was taken?

Perhaps I am overthinking this, but there might be things to consider in my decision. Mainly, if I meet for the best time, they will know I am available when they prefer/need me. If I tell them "I can't meet Wednesday because I have a cert exam", would that show ambition? If I reschedule the exam and meet before the exam, then I can bring up the cert exam in conversation to show I'm working towards my goals. Likewise, if I don't reschedule the exam and interview on Thursday, I could bring up that I just passed the exam yesterday. And of course, worst case scenario, if I fail the exam and they ask about it, that leave a really bad mark, but that's assuming I mentioned the exam as my reason for picking an afternoon time (FWIW, I am super-confident about the exam).

Do you think any of this has any impact on my impression (in the eyes of the employer)? Should I cater to that company's best available time (after all, I said I had open availability). I tried putting myself in the shoes of the interviewer but I just don't have the experience of someone giving an interview. I figured I would ask some people on this forum for a little input/advice.

Thanks
2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA

Comments

• Options
    IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Dude your over thinking this out way to hard. Just think about which one can be reschedule at your convenience ? Try to accommodate the hiring manager because sometimes it can be real hard to have schedules align once you miss a time frame. You are not the only person they are interviewing and most likely they are working on other task. If you speak about the cert let them know and be honest.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Go with the later time on the other days. You're overthinking it and it's completely ok to accept a time that works better for YOU. I would also be honest with them: "Sorry, I have an professional exam scheduled during that time but XYZ days at these times." I can't see a company thinking it a con that you're trying to better yourself professionally :)

Since you're in the socal area, I would recommend taking future exams at the testing centers that allow weekend tests (unless Wednesday is your day off and then carry on...)
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    nsternster Member Posts: 231
    If you are confident about your exam, that yea, you can mention it, but you don't have to either. The obvious answer here is Thursday afternoon IMO

As others said... chill, this isn't usually the kind of thing that determines whether you get hired or not
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would try not to put off the interview for more then a week. Other then that I think your fine either way. Can you move the exam to Tuesday? I don't know anything about your schedule but this seems like your over thinking it a bit.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    gc8dc95gc8dc95 Member Posts: 206 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have been in this situation and actually rescheduled the interview and still ended up getting the job.
  • Options
    thatguy67thatguy67 Member Posts: 344 ■■■■□□□□□□
    gc8dc95 wrote: »
    I have been in this situation and actually rescheduled the interview and still ended up getting the job.

Cool. I am going to schedule the interview after the exam. I don't want a bad interview to be in my mind when I step into the testing center.

Update: Got the job also :D
    2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA