Options

CISSP endorsment question

leugenelleugenel Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
Do you guys know if being a cable guy in the past qualifies as an experience for CISSP? I know its kind of telecommunications, but what do you think?
Also I need 4 years experience (have bachelor in CS) in 2 domains, right? Can it be 2 years in one domain and 2 years in another domain?
Let me know if someone had same problem. Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    analystanalyst Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    leugenel wrote: »
    Do you guys know if being a cable guy in the past qualifies as an experience for CISSP? I know its kind of telecommunications, but what do you think?
    Also I need 4 years experience (have bachelor in CS) in 2 domains, right? Can it be 2 years in one domain and 2 years in another domain?
    Let me know if someone had same problem. Thanks,

From their endorsement PDF form:
    Professional Experience Guidelines.
    Experience in the specified credential domains qualifies as security experience but may not qualify as professional experience. Non-professional or para-professional work, even in the applicable credential domains, does not satisfy the requirement. Professional work is usually compensated by salary, retainer, fee, or commission rather than per hour. It is, by definition, exempt from the wage and hour laws.

Professional experience includes:
    · Work requiring special education or intellectual attainment, usually including a liberal education or a college degree. · Work requiring habitual memory of a body of knowledge shared with others doing similar work. · Management. · Supervision of the work of others while working with a minimum of supervision one's self. · Work requiring the exercise of judgment, management decision making, and discretion. · Requires the exercise of ethical judgment (as opposed to ethical behavior). · Creative writing and oral communication. · Teaching, instructing, training, and mentoring of others. · Research and development. · The specification and selection of controls and mechanisms (rather than the mere operation of those controls) (e.g., identification and authentication technology), but not when the basis is that of established standards or procedures.
  • Options
    mjsinhsvmjsinhsv Member Posts: 167
    What were your duties as cable guy?

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think the rule is 5 or more years of experience in 2 or more domains.
    Your degree will allow you one year. So all you need is 48 months.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't think being a cable guy would qualify for experience. Has nothing to do with security anything. You need 5 years in total in at least 2 domains. Your degree will remove 1 year so you will need 4 years in at least 2 domains.
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply,
    "Experience in the specified credential domains qualifies as security experience but may not qualify as professional experience." makes me think that its not only about security but more of a professional experience. And cable, internet, satellite installation - seems to reflect telecommunication domain (at least Telecommunication domain in the book is not all about security but about technology in general as well).
    As a cable contractor I got paid by job, set up TV, Internet , phone - the normal cable guy job.

I have 3 years of 100% approved experience in a lot of domains, but when I was in college I had to work as a cable guy to pay my bills, education, rent, etc. (mostly because of flexible schedule that allowed me to have full time job and full time school).

If anyone has any other ideas let me know.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It feels like a stretch, though clearly starts as telecom but in reality is really more reflective of the physical domain (pulling cable, locked cabinents, tamper proofing) rather than of actual telecom. Your not conceptually working with the OSI or designing the security of cable installation. Of course if you can either spin it or defend it the ISC2 will most likely accept it. We aren't really into the vetting process as much as we are trying to increase our numbers from a marketing aspect.

The other step of course is to find a current, in good standing, CISSP that will sign-off on the experience or have the ISC2 do the sign-off. You'd probably be better off taking the ISC2 route in this case. Personally, I'm pretty sure I'd make an ethics complaint about the endorser themselves if I were privy to such. No offense but that's the truth of it as you have stated above.

Why yes, I am the board ethics jerk. Self appointed, of course.

- b/eads
  • Options
    mjsinhsvmjsinhsv Member Posts: 167
    Might be able to spin it as being an expert at layer 1 design and implementation. ;)
    I've heard of security guards passing the test and using their experience in physical security as a qualifying factor.icon_rolleyes.gif

Seriously, don't let the experience part hold you back.
    You can still take the test and receive the assoiciate of CISSP designation.
    Once you have the 5 years of experience working in the field, you are golden.
  • Options
    I'll see what I can do. I know few CISSP people and will talk to them.

Also I passed the exam last week, and now I am preparing endorsement forms.
    Thanks,