Options

Online Degrees

zaleonardzzaleonardz Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
While are on the topic of degree's as per the previous thread,whats the take on online degree's. ?

I somehow, in my 70-462 study avoidance stumbled on to this.

Doctorate in Business Administration - AU Faculty of Business

I did my MBA through university of Livepool in the UK, an although they are not Harvard, they were quite a bit ahead of the South African Universities in the Ward top 200 list.

I am planning on putting in my application to become a Canadian Citizen soon, maybe this is not a bad idea.

What are your views folks, are online Masters/Doctorates frowned on.

The Masters, while I did it in my PJ's, and wrote no exams at all... but it was murder.

8 modules at 8 weeks each.

3 written documents a week of a least 1200 words each, group project.

Then, and this part I loved, is that your work for the week is posted on a forum, and it is a marked objective that you engage others in their work, ie reading, comparing and discussing.

What makes it interesting, is because its all computer based, your fellow students are from all walks of life, and many cultures differ in answers.

ANybody here done an Online degree,

Comments

• Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    AU is well known in Alberta lots of mid ranked pro's go there from cgy and edm. I'm not sure how many grads it would have from the other provinces as online degrees aern't really massive here. It won't be known outside Canada if that matters to you.

I've heard nothing but good stuff about there program from a friend who did the MBA and he's an ad exec at ibm but I don't know anyone else who's gone through anything from them.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I know alot people on here will bash this, but my wife is a HR manager and she hates online degrees. icon_twisted.gif

I'm kinda debating on going for my Master's online at some point though. They usually cost cheaper and are less time consuming than brick and motar colleges (the driving and going to classes) but they usually don't get as good as recognition/reputation. So there are trade-offs...
  • Options
    mjnk77mjnk77 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If it helps any, it seems these days there are more B&M schools are offering both online Bachelor's and Master's degrees.
  • Options
    aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    I have an Online Bachelor degree from a Brick and Mortar school (Indiana Wesleyan University), and I'm currently pursuing a Masters from WGU (online).

I'm considering enrolling in an online MBA program from a state school in the future...

Quitting my job just to enroll full time at a brick and mortar school isn't feasible for me...
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • Options
    I have an Online Bachelor degree from a Brick and Mortar school (Indiana Wesleyan University), and I'm currently pursuing a Masters from WGU (online).

I'm considering enrolling in an online MBA program from a state school in the future...

Quitting my job just to enroll full time at a brick and mortar school isn't feasible for me...

Why would you have to quit your job to take a couple night classes each week?
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I know alot people on here will bash this, but my wife is a HR manager and she hates online degrees. icon_twisted.gif

I'm kinda debating on going for my Master's online at some point though. They usually cost cheaper and are less time consuming than brick and motar colleges (the driving and going to classes) but they usually don't get as good as recognition/reputation. So there are trade-offs...

I'm curious about your wife's opinion, is she talking online ONLY schools, or any online program? How about for profit, non profit, etc? Lots of long standing B&M schools are offering a lot / all their classes online now, it's only going further in that direction.
  • Options
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    I'm curious about your wife's opinion, is she talking online ONLY schools, or any online program? How about for profit, non profit, etc? Lots of long standing B&M schools are offering a lot / all their classes online now, it's only going further in that direction.

Pretty sure she was just talking about online ONLY schools.
  • Options
    JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195

Do we have the for-profits to thank for this?

My biggest fear is not, "Oh, WGU, is that online?" It's actually more like, "Oh, WGU, is that like UoP or ITT Tech?"
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    zaleonardz wrote: »
    The Masters, while I did it in my PJ's, and wrote no exams at all... but it was murder.

How can you prove that you wrote the papers or study at all if there are no exams?
  • Options
    zaleonardzzaleonardz Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Each assignment needs to be submitted to something called TurnItIIn, which checks for plagiarism, so you cannot copy and paste from the web, and it also evaluates your writing styles, which could almost be considered a signature, if your writing style in the first module differs significantly in the last, then it will pick it up.

While its true, I could have paid somebody else to do it for me under my name, so can you get a fake ID and enrol your friend at a brick and mortar.

With the amount of papers that you need to submit on a weekly basis, subject to peer review instantly by 10 to 15 class mates in a forum style, with a minimum of 3 Harvard style external references based on the Online Library, there is no faking this stuff.

You further need to actively participate in class, your marked for it, during the week, you are required to do 6 to 8 responses to peer submissions of assignments, and agree/argue, based on credible references, and what makes this challenging is the cultural diversity of each member of the group.

You also need to do a weekly submission of, what did I learn, what did it mean to me, this too, is marked.

Lastly, the dissertation part of it is the same.
    You need to do a research topic proposal, it needs to be approved, you need to get a dissertation adviser, monthly submissions, and the dissertation is reviewed by the same team that does the brick and mortar dissertation reviews.

Your going to laugh, but I fail exams due to my handwriting, I cannot actually write, I can type 90 to 100 words a minute, but I cannot write, because nobody can read it, including myself sometimes.
  • Options
    aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    Why would you have to quit your job to take a couple night classes each week?

WGU was not my first choice. Originally, I had looked into a program at EKU which is about half an hour drive from my client's location. However, classes started at 5PM and would have required me to leave by 4:30pm to make it to class on time.

I don't always have the opportunity to leave work at 5pm, and I am on call 24/7 (like many of you). I was fairly certain that my obligations to my client would conflict with my school schedule, so I decided to attend WGU instead.

Of course I would prefer face to face interaction with an instructor, but the brick and mortar approach is not always feasible for those of us who work 40+ hours a week. It was a bit of an exaggeration to say that I would have to quit my job to go to school, but I was not confident that I would be able to meet the needs of my client while attending a brick and mortar program....Does that make sense?
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I plan on getting an AACSB MBA in IT online next year. Most brick and mortar schools offer classes online these days. That's how I'm getting my MBA pre-reqs done. Online via a B&M school.
  • Options
    jdancer wrote: »
    Online via a B&M school.

Thats exactly what I'm going to look for when I decide to do my masters. I actually wouldn't mind going to a live class though.

I would look hard for online program from a B&M school. Think it can make the world of difference to employers.

Pretty sure I also would have a huge problem with my employer if they wouldn't even allow me the time to attend a night class.