Options

Internal Promotion Interview Tips

Hi guys, I just wanted some advice/tips for nailing an internal promotion interview. I've been working on Help Desk for about 9 months and I've got an interview coming up in a couple days for a Network Technician opening. It sounds like I've got a really good shot at this and some guys in the department even put in a good word for me (long before this opening came up). I feel like I'm the strongest internal candidate and it sounds like the supervisor really wants me on the team. I will welcome any tips, advice, or insight :).

Comments

• Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    During the interview, you should speak professionally and acknowledge your current duties: a.) day to day activities b.) accomplished projects c.) dedication to work OT etc... d.) current technical certs achieved during your time with them. This will reinforce that Internal Candidates for this position is their best option.
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Be truthful during the interview, don't talk around what you actually know, and don't be afraid to say "I don't know" but follow up with how you will find out (engage internal resources, vendor engagement, colleagues, etc).
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    ImYourOnlyDJImYourOnlyDJ Member Posts: 180
    Wow thanks for the quick replies. Now how would I go about highlighting the scripts and applications I've developed while working on the help desk? Didn't know if I should bring screenshots and source code or bring my work laptop to the interview to show them in person.