Options

What hardware/software are you getting with your tax refund?

ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
Taxes are due in 2 days, so what hardware/software are you getting with your tax refund? For those that filed early, what did you get?

I used mine to build a small Cisco lab for CCENT/CCNA studies.
2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!

Comments

• Options
    Nafe92014Nafe92014 Member Posts: 279 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Used 5% of mine on a rack for my Cisco gear. The other 95% is going towards groceries/bills. May use a small amount for some future cert books. :P
    Certification Goals 2020: CCNA, Security+

"You have enemies? Good, that means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~Winston S. Churchill
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've been wanting a windows tablet for a while, but I'm really, really cheap, so I waited. Then last week I saw the Asus Transformer T100 on Woot for $200, so I went for it. So far, so good. As soon as my warranty is done I'll be trying to put linux on it.

Other than that, the tax money's gone to heating oil and other bills.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    A pellet smoker with a digital heat register. This thing is a beast.

@ Qord, your thrifty ;)
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I owe this year. icon_sad.gif
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    A projector for my golf simulator in my basement. Just hitting in a big net I built right now. Can't wait to be hitting into a big screen! (Need to put the screen I bought to hit into up still as well)

sim.jpg 38.7K
  • Options
    MutataMutata Member Posts: 176
    I'm getting back the smallest amount ever.

So basically I'll be buying a Large Fries.
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I put my refund in my roth IRA. No toys for me icon_sad.gif
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    Priston wrote: »
    I put my refund in my roth IRA. No toys for me icon_sad.gif

aren't we prudent... sleeping.gif
  • Options
    praminpramin Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You should always be paying. I always try to pay.

If you are getting money back; you are giving the IRS an "interest free" loan.
  • Options
    successrealmsuccessrealm Member Posts: 104 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Bought a new Desktop, highend. (I've put this off for 7 years)
    Put some towards getting my Son a good used truck for his 17th B-Day this summer.
    Put some towards getting land and being self sufficient in the future, because I don't think most of us will be getting that "retirement" money the way things are going.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Maxed out Roth IRA for the year.

Sold off my network rack minus a few things.
    Got a 120GB M.2 SSD drive
    500GB 2.5 SATA drive
    3TB WD Red drive and a synology 215j

Then I virtualized my network rack.
  • Options
    discount81discount81 Member Posts: 213
    I never seem to get much of a refund in Canada.

I miss the huge tax refunds in Australia
    http://www.darvilleit.com - a blog I write about IT and technology.
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    I owe them, like I have for years. Between my independent contracting way back and my wife being an independent contractor for years, we always pay. Our goal is to pay as little as possible, as late as possible, and use what's left from the tax savings account as our personal refund.

This year I bough a portable 17" USB monitor since it looks like I will be travelling more the second half of the year.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't give the gov't interest free loan.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    discount81 wrote: »
    I never seem to get much of a refund in Canada.

I miss the huge tax refunds in Australia

Less you get usually means the more that went in your pocket and not to the government.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I'm confused here, so do you buy things and then claim them back via tax? I was thinking of buying VMware license and claim a tax refund, and I should claim a small % of my postgrad fees as well...
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    I'm confused here, so do you buy things and then claim them back via tax? I was thinking of buying VMware license and claim a tax refund, and I should claim a small % of my postgrad fees as well...

In the US you have taxes taken out of every check and you file taxes at the end of the year. If you overpaid you get a check back from the government.
    (Not sure if you are US or EU, etc. Am on mobile)
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    I claimed my home-lab this year and I got a sizable return. So I ordered a few things:

Put a down-payment on a 2015 black Subara WRX STI (My modified 'daily-driver' Pontiac G6 GXP will be my car till it dies) and ordered 4 used Cisco 3750G switches to replace my older 2950's and I got a larger router a 3825.
  • Options
    Deathmage wrote: »
    I claimed my home-lab this year and I got a sizable return.

You claimed your home lab? Assuming you own business?
  • Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You claimed your home lab? Assuming you own business?

At least in Canada, you can provide professional services (i.e. IT stuff) without registering a business. When you register a business, your accounting costs go up from $10 for H&R Block online filing, to $2,000 for a corporate accountant, so whatever money you're saving by owning a business better save be more than what you'd spend on the confusing accounting.

PS: how much were the 3750s?
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Only tech gear I got was upgrading to a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and stocking up on some Japanese import games.. lol
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    praminpramin Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
    UnixGuy wrote: »

I don't know the tax laws in AU. In US you can buy computers and the like and claim as business expense if you are an independent contractor with your own company. There is plenty that can be "written off" as a business expense when you have your own company and you are an independent contractor. :)

I actually deducted my MBA as an itemized deduction (Schedule A) here in US. :)