Options

Passing the VCP5-DCV with no networking/server experience

OakparktechOakparktech Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
Can I honestly pass the VCP5-DCV with no server/network experience?
I have 7 years desktop experience but no high level server/network experience...

I completed my VCA-DCV and stanly community college vSphere5.5 online training. I setup a nested lab on an HP Proliant server.
looking at the Blueprint, it requires a lot of experience to run thru the blueprint...

I really enjoy vmware and I cannot get experience at my job. what to do.

any advice will be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You sure can, it'll just take longer. Dive into the Mastering vSphere book, build a lab on your server and see how you go.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I passed VCP4 when I had 4 months IT experience. Granted 4 was easier to pass with less experience vs 5.x.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Get Scott Lowe's book and start studying, it's definitely possible. LAB LAB LAB Don't expect to get it done in a month though.
  • Options
    burfectburfect Member Posts: 128
    I think you'll be fine... I posted a somewhat related thread on diving into VMW first (http://www.techexams.net/forums/virtualization/108393-opinions-learning-vmw-first.html#post916764) just by nature of where I landed career wise and the feedback was positive.

Scott Lowe's book is really good as mentioned.
  • Options
    OakparktechOakparktech Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks I have started reading scott lowe's book. I just seem to always run into issues setting up my nested lab on hp server. then it takes me hours sometimes to find a solution.... maybe i just need to be patient. of course if i had working experience with vmware it would make things a little easier. i don't just want to memorize the exam questions and past the test without knowing anything....
  • Options
    fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    You can pass any exam without experience as long as you know what topics will be tested on. It's just harder, and it's up to you if you think that it's worth the effort.
  • Options
    IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Maybe you should pay for the VMware training. Its kind of steep but I heard its worth every dollar and you would be surrounded by experience admins.
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    I had little to no server experience with VMware going into my study until I built my home-lab that's when I got way more hands-on work with it. It took me 3 months past the ICM class from Stanly so roughly 6 months on study to pass the exam on-top of labbing every week for 3 months for about 30 hours a week. I did however have over 5 years of server experience is a physical sense, and let tell you VMware make servers environments soooo much easier, having lived in a physical world I really appreciate VMware so much more now.

it was really just a building block though cause now after 3 months with real-hands of live-world VMware work in a production environment it really helped me get to this point now.

While my cluster may not be as large as some on here it's still a learning experience each day I come into work. But the rewards of what VMware offers a IT department are immense.