Options

MTA Exams, scarce study materials?

TheReceiverTheReceiver Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□

Web Development Fundamentals: MTA Exam 98-363

Database Administration Fundamentals: MTA Exam 98-364

Software Development Fundamentals: MTA Exam 98-361

These are the 3 certifications I am currently interested in since they seem to be integrated into the WGU - Network Security bachelors plan.

I am currently studying for Security+ exam and for the most part have a pretty good grasp of the content so far. Upon recommendation from here I got the book authored by Darril Gibson and so far its been a great tool. I got about 100 pages left before I start reviewing content and taking some practice exams (measureup).

However I do like to spend a little time reading reviews on other study materials before investing. It seems the Wiley book is the only thing out there and its got mixed reviews. Im sure I would be ok if I extract everything I could from it (as this is not within my field of expertise).

However I am strapped for cash, the books seem to be 60-100 dollars and measureups are 85, the cert is 75. Thats a lot of cash for a cert that really doesnt carry much weight for me. I can get my school to cover the cost of the cert but that still leaves me with a hefty investment of 600 for 3 exams.

Also, time is a factor. I work in Down town dallas and commute about 1.5-2 hours. I just go to school after work as its a 20-30 minute drive and study certs until 930p-10p. So I cant really spend much time running around used book stores or library at the moment, though I would have time after completing Security+ as ill not have a cert that im working on at the time.

I know this is a first post, and I havent really contributed to this forum quite yet, but I would very much appreciate some insight on the cheapest and most efficient method to carry out these certs.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Comments

• Options
    ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I dont know about the web one, but CBT Nuggets has training videos for Software development. Pluralsight has Database training videos.
    2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
    CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!
  • Options
    Thanks!

I am looking to have this bachelors done in under a year, so while I waiting for Taxes to return and settle myself financially (just got back from 3 months in Korea) Im knocking out some certs that can cut down time needed for BS of IT from WGU.

About to take Security+ likely monday after work.

How difficult was CIW Foundations for you? I believe I need to have that certification as well so I was glancing at that one but seem to not find a sub-section for it here
  • Options
    How difficult was CIW Foundations for you? I believe I need to have that certification as well so I was glancing at that one but seem to not find a sub-section for it here

They have updated it since I took it, so take what I say with a grain of salt. IT seemed to mostly ask questions about web design. Know your basic HTML and CSS. I also got a few eCommerce type questions as well as some basic networking questions.
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
  • Options
    Im looking at the Database 541 exam (for the WGU degree plan)

Looks like the study materials are almost as bad as the MTA level certifications...ugh lol

Thanks! Wish this forum had a rep function like OCN.
  • Options
    Im looking at the Database 541 exam (for the WGU degree plan)

Looks like the study materials are almost as bad as the MTA level certifications...ugh lol

Thanks! Wish this forum had a rep function like OCN.

It does, just click on the little star at the bottom of a users post.