Options

70-680 Stress and Annoyance

jacksonrjacksonr Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

Taken the 70-680 3 times now and its actually driving me nuts.
Really not sure what I need to do to pass. Yesterday I hit 600, the time before that was 622. I really dont know where I am going wrong. Its so close yet so far.

I have been using Messer and Windows 7 Free training and making notes. I am thinking that perhaps I just need to Lab everything and see if I can make it stick.

Thing is, I have passed MS Exams before, but for some reason the 70-680 is just an absolute bugger.

Any tips? I have booked again for May with my second shot. Just want to get this out the way so I can move on.

Cheers,

Ron

Comments

• Options
    MarcITMarcIT Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I recommend labbing, that's what I mainly did to study. Grab yourself a Windows 7 Enterprise ISO and VirtualBox and follow along with the labs Prof Messer does, and repeat them continuously to refresh memory (ie. cmd prompt). I can no longer find the 90-day evaluation Win7 ISO any longer I used recently unfortunately however.
    You can easily lab if you have two systems with Win7/8 in your home to setup shares with.

I also made in-depth notes while watching Messers videos for study and reference.

There are also probably some good books you can purchase, maybe Darill Gibson's http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Desktop-Support-Administration-Certification/dp/0470597097 (I havent used it, but I am thinking of purchasing to study for my 70-685)

All in all, I think some labbing will be the glue to put all the theory together, good luck.

P.S. I can share my notes if you want.
  • Options
    Judderman88Judderman88 Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi Jackson

I passed this on the second attempt and it was a toughie. I only scraped the pass with a 760.
    I watched the Messer vids until his face haunted me! Thankfully, there are plenty of resources around for this exam. Do get labbing, do set up some deployments and images, do remember the facts and figures about the upgrade and install requirements. My second exam had several questions on the mobile computing chapter, Bitlocker, Direct Access, etc.
    If you’re around the 600 mark, you’re probably not too many questions from a pass, you’ve just got to keep plugging away. If you’ve already passed an MS exam before, you’re already familiar with filtering out the salient information from the questions.
    Keep your chin up, I’m sure you’ll get there. If you throw enough stuff against the wall, eventually some will stick!
  • Options
    MarcITMarcIT Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi Jackson

I watched the Messer vids until his face haunted me!

Hahaha icon_lol.gif Professor Messer's face has become a small part of my life, love that man.
  • Options
    JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You should maybe buy a book, the MS Press Book for example. It includes some labs that you can do and some practice questions after each chapter and even a practice exam that comes with the CD I think. That's what I used as my main study material and it really helped me out. If I remember correctly, Messer didn't cover all subjects on his videos so I would give it a shot on a book to fill in what you're missing. But as the others have said, you're not far from passing so don't give up!
  • Options
    Thanks guys,

thats is what I really needed to hear.
    Was just so frustrated yesterday.

I I have the MS Press book and CBT Nuggets so going to lab to bits.

I think its its even more frustrating in that I am soooo close!!!.

Thanks again, will keep you updated.

Ron
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Have you looked at Professor Messer for his training? He has free video training along with his own study guide for $10. Give him a go. Professor Messer's Free Microsoft 70-680 Certification Training | Professor Messer - CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Linux, Microsoft Technology Training
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I feel for you. These exams are overly difficult, IMO. Someone else put it best when they said that Microsoft creates these tests with the goal of "stump the Admin" in mind. That's certainly what it feels like anyway.

I agree that, unless you have years of experience in an enterprise environment, you will most definitely need to lab this stuff. And I mean lab EVERYTHING. More than once!

For Microsoft exams, most of the time a single study source isn't going to be comprehensive enough to pass. My strategy is to lab using 2 or 3 different books that have excellent reviews on Amazon, or 1 or 2 books coupled with TrainSignal or CBTNuggets.

For the 70-680, I personally used the following 3 books, plus Professor Messer and CBTNuggets.

http://www.amazon.com/MCTS-70-680-Cert-Guide-Configuring/dp/0789747073/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429158080&sr=8-1&keywords=70-680

Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-680) Configuring Windows 7 (MCTS) (Microsoft Press Training Kit): Ian McLean, Orin Thomas: 9780735627086: Amazon.com: Books

http://www.amazon.com/MCTS-70-680-Rapid-Review-Configuring/dp/0735657297/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1429158080&sr=8-3&keywords=70-680

I will say though, I found Messer to be a good resource to get a decent overview of a particular topic, but he doesn't go into enough detail to be prepared for the exam in any capacity. You need some good thick books for that, and a functional lab environment.

Good luck on your next attempt. Lab the heck out of it, and take plenty of practice exams. (some books include them)
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    last night I built a small VM Domain.
    Two Windows 7 WS, 1 Vista and 1 XP.

I am going to go through the official MS Book again as well as a full lab session of messer. I may also try and squeeze in the CBT nuggets videos. Have about 4 weeks so hopefully this is enough time.

I agree with you @Srabiee, I think its crazy for such a straight forward qualification.
  • Options
    DomesticDomestic Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I hear you man, none of the MCSA exams are a pushover. Those that claim they are often guys with years of experience day in day out with the specific software and tools. It can be demoralizing to fail but if your study remains consistent your knowledge will only increase and the pass becomes inevitable.
  • Options
    Thanks Guys,

Much appreciated. I have 4 weeks, so I am going to start by going through the MCTS 70-680 Book from MS. I have purchased the Messer notes, and will go through the Messer Vids (AGAIN AND AGAIN) whilst doing labs along side. Will also be watching the CBT Nuggets videos when on the trian so hopefully that should be enough.

Notes wise, did you document every single thing or just as and when?

Thanks again,

Ron
  • Options
    ChinookChinook Member Posts: 206
    It's been years since I passed this exam but I recall it was pretty difficult. I had the benefit of doing a project with Windows 7 right when it was released so some came easily. Lab & if you can, setup a virtual Windows server & learn a bit about things like group policy & how to setup & configuring WDS.

As far as Windows exams go, I felt this one was more difficult than some Server 2008 exams. I took the 686 exam afterward and it was even more difficult.
  • Options
    Excellent, I have that lined up next ha ha :)
  • Options
    artemis090artemis090 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just passed my 70-680 today and MAN was it ever a beast! I initially failed it, but then I got right back on the wagon. I used a plethora of resources.... Don Poulton, CommandLine Pocket Guide.....MeasureUp....Kaplan.....and finally Professor Messer!

I am so glad that it's FINALLY over!!! :)

Keep at it man......I feel your pain Jackson.......TRUST ME I FEEL IT MATE! icon_cry.gif
  • Options
    Thanks Guys, really pleased its not just me. Soon as I have done this and my MCSA/E, Im done with Microsoft Exams after that!!
  • Options
    Keep in mind that MCSE certs now expire after 3 years. You will have to re-test periodically if you want to keep them valid.

MCSA certs never expire, however.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    Judderman88Judderman88 Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
    srabiee wrote: »
    Keep in mind that MCSE certs now expire after 3 years. You will have to re-test periodically if you want to keep them valid.

MCSA certs never expire, however.

Is that the case Srabiee? I thought all MCSA/MCSE were set to expire. At least when I finish MCSA:7, it's for keeps!
  • Options
    Just the new MCSE's. MCTS, MCSA, and MCITP do not require renewal.

https://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/certification-exam-policies.aspx

Look under Recertification Policies.

• Options
    What I am ideally looking to do is to move into 3rd Line Support. So I would be mainly looking at Server 2012 exams after this.
    Though the way the 70-680 is going, I may be looking at Server 2024!!!
  • Options
    srabiee wrote: »
    Just the new MCSE's. MCTS, MCSA, and MCITP do not require renewal.

https://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/certification-exam-policies.aspx

Look under Recertification Policies.

WAIT.....so just so I'm clear......any MCTS exams (70-680+70-685) do not require the recertification???

Please say it's so mate....please say it's so!!!
  • Options
    jacksonr wrote: »
    Thanks Guys, really pleased its not just me. Soon as I have done this and my MCSA/E, Im done with Microsoft Exams after that!!

Naw mate, you're not the only one who has been suffering. :)

Microsoft isn't making it easily for folk to pass. I blame it on all the Brain **** sites. Dumb cheating blokes! icon_mad.gif

At any rate, I wish I could say I was done with Microsoft exams, but I want to take the 686 and get my full MCSA. :D

THEN....I'll be done.

For now.....I think I'll focus on my Security+.

Cheers!
  • Options
    Thanks Artemis.
    Just have so much I want to get done.

Network+, Linux+ and of course the 686. Looking at an MCSA / MCSE (Start September time hopefully).

After that, need to decide where I want to go :) Good luck with the 686. Let us know how it goes if you don't mind?

Cheers
  • Options
    AviLevyAviLevy Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just took the MTA 98-365 and it was not so bad at all. Thinking of taking MCSA Windows 7 or Windows 8. Anyone knows which one is easier to take? Also, are those Brain **** Q&A helping you with passing the test?

Any help would be much appreciated.
  • Options
    AviLevyAviLevy Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just took the MTA 98-365 and it was not so bad at all. Thinking of taking MCSA Windows 7 or Windows 8. Anyone knows which one is easier to take? Also, are those Brain **** Q&A helping you with passing the test?

Any help would be much appreciated.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    70-680 is my least favorite cert test of all time
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    artemis090 wrote: »
    WAIT.....so just so I'm clear......any MCTS exams (70-680+70-685) do not require the recertification???

Please say it's so mate....please say it's so!!!

MCTS, MCSA, and MCITP never expire. Once you earn them, you keep them for life. No recertification required.

Only the new MCSE certs require any sort of recertification.

• Options
    ashbotashbot Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm not sure where you're at on the exam, if you plan to re-take it or not. I failed the 70-680 twice and finally passed it on Sunday. I used TestOut and what I really gathered from TestOut is that you have to pay attention to every little detail. Microsoft tests differently than CompTIA or even Apple, as I have passed both on the first try. With CompTIA or Apple, they expect you to know the definition of what something is (for example, Time Machine) but don't really expect you to know how to use it (that comes after.) Microsoft expects you to be in the field, and then take the certification to show you are qualified at what you do. There is a lot of white noise in the questions, be aware, and look for details that lead to the correct answer.

Good luck!
  • Options
    BucklesBuckles Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well done Ashbot! It's funny- I found the 680 easier than the 685... I guess it comes down to how the individual thinks- to me, 680 was bigger picture concepts which I found easier to grasp than the granular technicality/confusing questions of the 685

Spot on regarding the white noise in the questions. I went into the 685 thinking of myself as a detective- I had to cut through the BS and find the right clues ;)