Options

Back To School - How to Prepare?

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
It has been seven years since I have been in college. Any tips on mentally preparing for it again?
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Designate specific time of the day as study time if at all possible. I was about the same amount out of school when I started and this really helped. I also eased in a bit by studying related subjects before my actual start date. Good luck!
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Carl hit it, set aside a certain time every day and use that no matter what. Even if I don't have anything specific to work on I lock myself in my office away from everything for that time frame to keep in the habit. I also recommend telling family that you have to be left alone for that time frame and make sure they understand. A supporting family and some quiet time is all I needed.
  • Options
    Excellent tips thanks guys! I can definitely set aside time and I am very lucky in that when I say I am studying family/friends respect that. My town library has study rooms that I am pretty sure I will be making use of!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you're the flash card type I highly recommend downloading some sort of flash card app, if you have a smart phone. You have to type your own cards, but I find typing the cards up helps me prepare for tests and its a convenient way to study once you have your flash cards since I always have my phone on me.

I use brainscape
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Quizlet is another good one.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    I'm in the same boat, and struggling. Had to submit assignments last minute - Ouch
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I usually try to read the book before the class begins. Of course if you have 4 courses that is impossible, at least for me. But if you have one or two then I'll try to read the book before the course. It gets my brain stewing and focused on the material.

Once I am in the course fully engaged, then it's flash cards.
  • Options
    Yeah, at most I will do two classes at a time so reading some ahead of time is definitely possible.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I didn't know you have to prepare to go back to formal education, most people I know who are older and have never been to school more than 7 years usually do better because they are focused and are usually way too disciplined because they mind are made up and they know what they want. The only thing I can think of that could be an issue is time management especially if you have a busy life style or maybe if you have kids many people struggle to balance work life and school lifestyle. Seeing that you a TE member I don't think your mind is tired you have nothing to worry about IMO.
  • Options
    CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    It has been seven years since I have been in college. Any tips on mentally preparing for it again?

Start by drinking one-three beers in the AM and then progress to 5-6. By the time class starts you should be ready.
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I started school again after 8 years off in 2013. My biggest struggle was learning how to learn again. That and accepting that my free time will be gone until I am done.

Honestly, if you have the motivation to finish it then that is all you need.
  • Options
    Cyberscum wrote: »
    Start by drinking one-three beers in the AM and then progress to 5-6. By the time class starts you should be ready.

That strategy worked well when I was 20. :)
  • Options
    Haha, I will say when preparing for the CISSP I drank one beer on day two of doing practice questions and got 6 more points then the day before. I have no kids so that makes things easier. I'll grit through it, as always the advice is appreciated! Guess I'll be the old guy in class with all the questions!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Robertf969Robertf969 Member Posts: 190
    I'm a horrible procrastinator, I do all my discussions on Wednesday (the day they are due), and do all the rest of my work on Saturday (The day before they are due). I have no idea how I maintain straight A's.
  • Options
    @ Robert

It's your superior IQ level that allows you to manage that brilliant GPA!
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    No tips - but I have a great deal of admiration for anyone that would be willing to go back to school and I assume while you are holding down a full-time job.

Good vibes to you!!! Go get it!!!
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    paul78 wrote: »
    No tips - but I have a great deal of admiration for anyone that would be willing to go back to school and I assume while you are holding down a full-time job.

Good vibes to you!!! Go get it!!!

Honestly, I thought I was going to be killing myself...but after 12 months I have adjusted.

I had 10 days off (from school, not work) around Christmas this last year. I went nuts without having something to do. So I doubled down and worked on the CCNA and passed on Jan 3rd lol. I was thinking about this today, once I finish this degree I will need to either work 10-20 hours a week more or find a time consuming hobby. I cant just sit down and relax after work anymore.