Options

CompTIA A+, N+, S+ and Business Degree. Need Help.

businessnitbusinessnit Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

I am a newbie to the IT world. I am a bit lost as to where to start my career path. I am currently in college for a BS in Business Management, I graduate (finish) December 27th, from there I will start an MBA-MIS concentration program in January. The program should take between a year and a year and three months. In the mean time I enrolled in a 3 certificate program that starts in a few weeks. I will be obtaining my A+, Network+, and Security+ in this 3 month program. I am interested in Project Management, but have notice that there are no Junior PM jobs where I live. I have looked into IT consulting(Managed Services) and System Analyst. I have found that there are a few opportunities here,some require little to no experience, and some require a minimum of 2 years. I have been around computers for about 20 years. I have mainly dealt with the Internet/Web design aspect of it. I have owned and operated online businesses and have been intrigued by business since I can remember. My Ultimate plan is to combine my two passions and become a PM, from there I'll consider Director, or CIO. Can anyone advise me of any business related entry level positions with my current situation? I would love to hear from both people in the business aspect of IT as well as all other aspects. I appreciate you all.

Comments

• Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As far as certs go, have you thought about pursuing the CompTIA Project+ and then moving on to PMI certification? Your business degree will certainly give you leverage to land a good position, as will the MBA-MIS when the time comes.

What area do you live in?
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    I support srabiee's recommendation, if Project management is indeed the way that you want to go. I could see you becoming a Project Manager early on, especially after earning the MBA, but it may take quite a while to reach the level of Director or CIO. The technical staff that you lead will respect you more if you're able to follow the technical jargon that they throw at you (Acronyms galore).

I think that starting with the A+, Network+, and Security+ is a great idea. Check out the free training videos for those exams below:

The Project+ would also be a great recommendation to start, with the PMI being the gold standard for Project management certifications.

Free training videos here: Professor Messer, CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Linux, Microsoft Certification Training
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • Options
    businessnitbusinessnit Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you both Srabiee and Aspiringsoul. @Srabiee I am in the New Orleans area of Louisiana. I have looked into the Project+ as it does not require the PM hours needed that PMI requires. @Aspiringsoul, I had never heard of Professor Messer until I went to the training school I will be attending. I paid $339 for a quickcert.com training video kit not to long ago, smh! Now the million dollar question is should I try and obtain the Project+ around the same time I get my BS in Business Management and apply to PM jobs with no hands on IT experience? or Should I try to get some experience as a tech./helpdesk or as I stated consultant/systems analyst first? and then apply to PM jobs?