Options

Read team operator interview

MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
Just thought I would share my experience I had last night, as I am still in a state of disbelief.

So I am really not in the market for a new job, but I am not really enjoying my current position which I started at four months ago. I got a random call from a manager last night. He is hiring a few folks with clearances to work as a red team operator. He apparently received my resume from a friend, and saw that I had passed the OSCP recently.

He asked me if I had a few minutes to talk, he had me at red team. So we discuss the position, and it truly sounds exactly what I want to be doing with my career. Bascially getting to break into government computers with a little bit of travel, and very little report writing.

He then asks my salary, and then verbally offered the job. So it looks like I may be working on a red team in a few weeks. It's pending the hiring manager's review and clearance verification.

Comments

• Options
    ChickenNuggetzChickenNuggetz Member Posts: 284
    Congrats! Looks like the OSCP is starting to pay off! Best of luck to you!
    :study: Currently Reading: Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator and Engineer by Ashgar Ghori

Certifications: CCENT; CCNA: R&S; Security+

Next up: RHCSA
  • Options
    Yes, it certainly does look it. I will have to go and get IAT level 3 within 90 days of hire though. So that means my next cert will be GCIH, which they will pay for.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nice! Congrats!!!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    MrAgent, Congrats on the job, of all the possible positions in our field Red Team definitely sounds like one of the more exciting ones! Also, if I'm not mistaken CISSP qualifies as IAT Level 3 as well, but GCIH would be great as well, and if they are willing to pay for the expense to SANS, even better. Be sure to let us know how it goes when you start, to the extent you are allowed to say at least.
  • Options
    successrealmsuccessrealm Member Posts: 104 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats MrAgent!
    (I'm "near" you, in Richmond, VA.)

Seems to be alot of us former IT guys from the Navy. icon_cool.gif Former IT2(AW)
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations!
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • Options
    XavorXavor Member Posts: 161
    Congrats! Just curious if the cold call had a Chinese accent though?

I don't see many x-Navy guys at work other than myself. I'm surrounded by the other branches.

CISSP is IAT 3.

https://www.isc2.org/dodmandate/default.aspx
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!
    No Chinese accent. I got an email from him, and the company is well known.
    I think I am going with GCIH over CISSP because it seems to be a bit easier.
  • Options
    CodyyCodyy Member Posts: 223 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MrAgent wrote: »
    Thanks everyone!
    No Chinese accent. I got an email from him, and the company is well known.
    I think I am going with GCIH over CISSP because it seems to be a bit easier.

Probably a good call because CISSP just changed their exam a few days ago and nobody really knows what to expect from the changes. And now you don't find out if you passed for 6-8 weeks.
  • Options
    They went back to that? I suppose its no longer computerized as well?
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Codyy wrote: »
    Probably a good call because CISSP just changed their exam a few days ago and nobody really knows what to expect from the changes. And now you don't find out if you passed for 6-8 weeks.

Why would you not find out if you passed now for 6-8 weeks? It was instant.
  • Options
    CodyyCodyy Member Posts: 223 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Robertf969Robertf969 Member Posts: 190
    CISSP wont be hard for you Mr. OSCP, it's just a marathon.
  • Options
    I am sure I would be able to pass the CISSP with some dedication. I feel that the GCIH would be a bit easier and easy obtain within 90 days.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    First on congrats sounds exciting.

Just curious on how you feel about leaving a position after only being their 4 months? Was this a contract position that would eventually dry up or are you leaving an FTE position after 4 months? I'm not trying to be a D!ck, but I have a hard time bailing before a year unless it's a short termed contract.
  • Options
    It is a contract. Currently in option years. I wasn't planning on leaving, but sitting around my current position for 4 months with nothing to do, that's not what I had in mind when I came aboard. I was brought on to be an AD SME. I don't even have admin accounts yet. I really do not like the pace at which things get done, it's just not for me.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    4 months and doing nothing. I know people who would die for that position, of course they aren't ambitious. icon_lol.gif

I know the feeling. I worked for a large MSP for years and was crushed all the time, but things were at a pace that I enjoyed. Now I am in a corp position and it's much / much slower. Not quite at the pace of doing nothing though.

Can you get up and leave whenever you want or work from home? If I had that position that's what I would do.
  • Options
    I far too driven and ambitious to sit around and not do anything.
    It's a govt agency, so I am unable to work for home etc.
    I like a high op tempo, vs just waiting for things to happen.