Wanting to get into the IT field, confused on where to start.

Aaron1983Aaron1983 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm looking to get into the IT field and I am a little confused as where to start. I did some heavy online reading and came up with the idea of at least starting with the Comptia A+ Certification then doing the network portion of it. I am very computer literate and for some reason I manage to understand them quite easily. I am not at home computer wiz but I would say I am fairly smart when it comes to figuring out computers, networks and so fourth. I have no real world on the job training in the IT field. How ever I have had positions that I did assist the IT department out because I knew what I was doing far as everyday help desk support and so on. They liked me because they could pawn the work off on me lol. Any how. I am a father of 3 our newest one was born the past February and unfortunately spending money and digging a student loan money pitt is out of the question. I was thinking of taking the Comptia A+ certs as a basic to improve on my foundation and then go with the Network and Security portion. After that, what should I go with/Do? I know there are a lot of different types of IT positions and Certs to go with to further advance a career. I was thinking about going the route of Cisco certs mixed in with Microsoft desktop and server support as well to have a wider array of knowledge. That being said and like I said before I have no real world on the job training to actually put on a resume. How am I suppose to bust into the career field of IT. I am not scared of starting at the bottom of the totem pole either. I am not spoiled and know I will have to work hard. Just need a little clarification on where to start is all and I guess some positive reinforcement plus some guide.Thanks

Comments

• SoCalGuy858SoCalGuy858 Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welcome to TE!

Starting off with what to put on your resume... you'll want to leverage your volunteer IT duties as much as possible. Make sure that content has a prominent position on your resume, and flesh out the details as much as possible. Technical specs (hardware, operating systems, etc.), number of users supported, projects worked on, improvements made, etc.

With regard to certifications, the CompTIA trio (A+, Network+, Security+) is a good baseline to start with, but it all boils down to where you want to take your career. What interests you? Obtaining certifications is meaningless if you wouldn't actually enjoy working with that specific technology.

Good luck to you!
    LinkedIn - Just mention you're from TE!
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    A+ is generally enough to get you hired at Best Buy. When I first read the title though I was really thinking: As a "Freshman" in college. Long term you'll want to get your degree or be scrambling for the crappier end of the IT field.

- b/eads
  • jerseyIT92jerseyIT92 Banned Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    beads wrote: »
    A+ is generally enough to get you hired at Best Buy. When I first read the title though I was really thinking: As a "Freshman" in college. Long term you'll want to get your degree or be scrambling for the crappier end of the IT field.

- b/eads

This isn't accurate OP. I know PLENTY of people without degrees that have jobs making 6 figures. College is good to get your foot in the door. No one's going to ask what your degree is in if you have something like a CCIE.
  • Aaron1983Aaron1983 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CCIE is eventually what I wanting to go for because to me its close to the tip of the iceberg far as Certs go and often times that can surpass a Degree. I just read an article on how degrees can become ''dated'' but Tech and Certs these days never become dated as the IT field is always evolving. So I don't agree with that post either but its an opinion and I respect that.
  • Aaron1983Aaron1983 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Anywho, Thanks for the advice from all. I'll probly still go with the Comptia A+ for now and move on to the others as times premise.I may explore SQL ,Microsoft Certs as well for more knowledge as a back up. I've pretty much begged for jobs before, I'll do it again : )I really want to move into Network Engineering. Anymore advice I would appreciate