Options

Stanly May-July

13»

Comments

• Options
    GreaterNinjaGreaterNinja Member Posts: 271
    Ok i'm finished with the vSphere 5.5 ICM class @ Stanly. For $185 it was not that bad. It was a very easy class. Just watch videos, do labs with pdf file instructions, take notes on quiz questions. Overall difficulty level was maybe a 5 on a scale of 10. Medium or even easy :P.

My only gripe with it is that the videos / flash was not interactive and as engaging as the free VMware VCA class...often I could only watch a few videos at a time before falling asleep.

Going forward I'm going to read the Scott Lowe / Marshall Book for vSphere 5.5 & watch CBT nuggets videos.

As far as the VCP exam I got one voucher already from wgudreamspark @ 70% discount. I plan to get another after my evaluation for stanlycc is over. So I get two tries for ~$135 if I need another one.
  • Options
    NidzNidz Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So guys the classes are not enough in order to pass the exam and master the vsphere 5.5. do you recommend cbt nuggets videos also, and which book is the best?
  • Options
    I am a little concerned.

Has anyone received their Class completion grade or webstore voucher email for stanly cc (May - July students only)?

I clicked on the class to see if it says passed and it now says I've been moved to inactive.

I did ALL 22 labs + quizzes. Hopefully this is a fluke due to the course ending July 15th.
  • Options
    STANLY_CCSTANLY_CC Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you did not receive the email that went out this week regarding voucher instructions, please contact your instructor ASAP. Students who receive a Satisfactory grade will receive a course completion once grades have actually been entered into the system. This can take 2-3 weeks after the course end date. Let us know if you have any other concerns. You are always welcome to send me a private message here as well.

I am a little concerned.

Has anyone received their Class completion grade or webstore voucher email for stanly cc (May - July students only)?

I clicked on the class to see if it says passed and it now says I've been moved to inactive.

I did ALL 22 labs + quizzes. Hopefully this is a fluke due to the course ending July 15th.
  • Options
    Rick9Rick9 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I received an email from my instructor today with the procedure to obtain the voucher.

Nidz wrote: »
    So guys the classes are not enough in order to pass the exam and master the vsphere 5.5. do you recommend cbt nuggets videos also, and which book is the best?

'Mastering vSphere 5.5' is a great book IMO; don't know about the CBT videos, but I guess they're good as CBT usually does quality stuff. Also, some videos by PluralSight are worth watching.
    BTW the class was very good, I guess it's probably 65-70% of the knowledge needed.
  • Options
    Hmm well I did not receive an email today. I sent an email to the instructor ...hopefully its just a 48 hour issue?
    When you click on your class, does it say you have been moved to inactive or do you actually have a grade for it now?

I have a congratulations email from July 13th saying I have completed the class.

I also have an email from July 14th: VMWare Voucher and Course Credit w/ instructions.

However, when I go to my stanly.edu student gmail account there is no email to access the Kivuto / VM store as stated in the instructions file attachment from the email on July 14th. Basically, the July 14th email says there should be another email with access instructions to order the voucher. I do not have this email. Its not in spam, junk or anything...its not there.

Meh, I'll give it a few days and try to be patient. I've had like 12 cups of coffee today.

• Options
    higahiga Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I only received one email about that I passed. When I click on my class, it does say: error/INACTIVE. Your enrollment in this class has been moved to an INACTIVE status by your instructor.

Where will we see the grades? I still haven't got an email about the voucher. Still waiting for it?!
  • Options
    In order to obtain a certificate from vmware, you need to pass exam and an authorized training (stanly edu). How does vmware know if we register at it, that we obtained a valid authorized training and make it a checkmark in our vmware profile?
  • Options
    Ok, so i'm probably not the only one then. I won't worry much now.
    As far as the stanly class I believe it will be reported on an account for https://mylearn.vmware.com/ I could be wrong, but all of my previous course completions have been reported there.

For my free WGU 70% voucher I had to request exam authorization for VCP-DCV550PSE ...this exam may have a very similar or exact name scheme.
  • Options
    No you are not the only one. Yes the exam code is VCP550PSE.
    For people that are asking why the code is a bit different. Difference between VCP550 and VCP550PSE: VCP550PSE is only for Students, Faculty, Staff, Faculty/Staff, all others need to purchase the VCP550 exam.

Well I guess when we sign up at vmware, we get an username and password from stanly in our email? And if we login, it's already filled in that we passed it. I am correct right?

It's true that if we don't have a certified training(for ex. stanly) then we can achieve the exam by taking, but we don't achieve a certificate. Or is that rule changed by VMware?
  • Options
    I said **** it and scheduled VCP550PSE for this Thursday 7/23 @ 12:30 PST.
    Paid for it with the wgu dreamspark voucher $67.50 was the out the door cost. I'm a bit nervous, but pass or fail I will learn something. If I do fail I intend to use the stanly voucher as plan B.
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You can use the Stanly discount voucher for another VCP when you get it, if you'd like. I'd already taken my VCP-DCV by the time I got my voucher, so I used it for my VCP-NV a few months later
  • Options
    I got the email!!

Can please someone verify:
    Is it true that if we don't have a certified training(for ex. stanly) then we can achieve the exam by taking(I do get authorization) but we don't achieve a certificate. Or is that rule changed by VMware?
  • Options
    ukwalnutsukwalnuts Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Since the course finished I've not received any emails.

When I click on the course it's saying error/INACTIVE instructor deems you are not meeting course requirements. I completed all course materials at the required due dates.

I've emailed instructor but not received any response. Starting to get concerned but who do you contact to find out what's going on? I can't seem to send Stanly_CC a private message through the forum.
  • Options
    higa wrote: »
    I got the email!!

Can please someone verify:
    Is it true that if we don't have a certified training(for ex. stanly) then we can achieve the exam by taking(I do get authorization) but we don't achieve a certificate. Or is that rule changed by VMware?

When did you complete the course? I completed it on July 11th....still no kivuto/onthehub email for stanly. I think i'm gonna give up on waiting since I already got a voucher for wgu.edu.
  • Options
    Ok guys, another update. It turns out the directions are a little misleading. The registration email never came to my stanly student email account. They went to my personal gmail account.
    I searched keyword "kivuto" on my personal gmail account and stanly cc gmail account. The "kivuto" keyword popped up a July 15th email on my personal email account for registering. I was then able to register for my e5.onthehub.com account.
  • Options
    Anyone here take the VCP550PSE in the last month or two?

I'm reading some people are being granted certification from passing it and some are not because VMware accounts are not updated with meeting the course requirement.
  • Options
    Has anyone has the course show up their VMware account? It's not shown up on mine.
  • Options
    Emails were sent to all students before the course ended with instructions on how to register & obtain VMware vouchers. You should have received an email in your SCC email account from Kivuto. However, some students have indicated that the email came to their personal email account. Please check both your SCC & personal email accounts as well as your spam folder. If after you have done this & you still have not received the email from Kivuto, please contact your individual instructors.
    ukwalnuts wrote: »
    Has anyone has the course show up their VMware account? It's not shown up on mine.
  • Options
    I contacted my instructor and managed to get email on obtaining VMware voucher.

I now want to sit the exam but not sure when the course will show up on my VMware account. I need the course to show up as completed so I meet course requirement for VMware certification.
  • Options
    Please email me at slewis8950@stanly.edu with your full name and let me know who was your instructor.
    I contacted my instructor and managed to get email on obtaining VMware voucher.

I now want to sit the exam but not sure when the course will show up on my VMware account. I need the course to show up as completed so I meet course requirement for VMware certification.
  • Options
    I've emailed you from my college email address. Thanks for all your help on this.
  • Options
    I've emailed you from my college email address. Thanks for all your help on this.

I just responded back.
  • Options
  • Options
    STANLY_CC wrote: »
    I just responded back.

I appreciate all the help so far. I've read the instructions you sent me but still confused as to why course is not showing up on my VMware Education account. Can you advise when the course will show up?
  • Options
    I emailed slewis8950@stanly.edu and had quick response to my questions (very helpful). I was advised to follow instructions in document I was sent to claim my VMware voucher and book the exam. Course won't show up on VMware Education site but certification will if exam is passed. I've also just received a letter from the college which has a certificate confirming I've passed the course. I now have some proof of completing the course in case I need to show it to VMware.
  • Options
    zorlac.mcnulty@gmail.comzorlac.mcnulty@gmail.com Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I notice the Labs take 5-15 minutes to load sometimes.

How is everyone doing in the May-July class?

Here are my thoughts of the class so far: Previous knowledge: Having previous VCA-DCV, VMware Workstation and vSphere experience has made this class seem pretty easy. I found some of the things taught are exactly taught (at high level) in the free VMware VCA-DCV course.
    Videos 7/10 Maybe its my adhd but I find it very hard to listen to the Texan sounding guy give lectures. I have to dope up on lots of coffee.
    ICM Labs: 8.5/10 I find these to be pretty good. They do not explain everything, but I'm starting to figure out why things are done. Its a good idea to type or write notes for each lab.
    Quizzes: 9/10 Lab quizzes suck, they only ask if you completed watching the respective video. Module quizzes are great though. They seem to focus on very important concepts and answer choices for solutions. I think they will be very valuable for the actual exam.
    Cost: 10/10 VMware vSphere 5.5 | VCP 5.5 DCV Training for $185....very hard to beat.

Are there other people in the class that plan to take the exam soon? I"m thinking of taking it next week.

Forgive the fast typing...I gotta get back to the lab.

Yep, I recently completed the course and I'm mired in the Sybex study guide right now.

My thought on the class and material:
    Videos: Not too bad but I found them very brief and skimmed over the information. Also much of it appeared to be read word for word from the course notes which is a pet hate of mine. 6/10
    ICM Labs: Really well done. I got a lot out of these and spent more time in the labs than the videos. 8.5/10
    Quizes: These were rubbish. They also contained typos and wrong answers. 4/10
    Cost: Considering the other options available, the value is brilliant. When they offer vSphere6 I'll be straight on the waiting list. 10/10

.Z
  • Options
    I emailed slewis8950@stanly.edu and had quick response to my questions (very helpful). I was advised to follow instructions in document I was sent to claim my VMware voucher and book the exam. Course won't show up on VMware Education site but certification will if exam is passed. I've also just received a letter from the college which has a certificate confirming I've passed the course. I now have some proof of completing the course in case I need to show it to VMware.

from where did you get the letter? I have not received any letter.
  • Options
    ctxctx Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello People how have already completed the Stanly 5.5 course. Which book is recommended for the exam in your experience.

Thanks.