Options

Where to go from help desk?

GLaDOSGLaDOS Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I've been in my company's IT department for just over a year now. Before this, I had no professional IT experience - just what I did and learned on my own. Because we are a smaller department, we have to wear many hats - in my current role I do a mix of desktop support, remote support, and work on a variety of special projects that cover different areas of IT.

I've been very fortunate to have this opportunity, but I'm always trying to look ahead at what's next in my career. I'm 26 and I know I still have much to learn in I.T. I've really enjoyed doing desktop support and it's been a great way for me to learn, but I know that I don't want to be doing desktop support as a career. The problem is, I'm just not sure what I should or want to be doing next. I currently have my A+, Net+, and Sec+. I'm currently working on my EnCE from Guidance Software due to the fact I had an opportunity to take the courses through my employer. However, as I've gotten more into that certification, I'm not quite sure if I want to specialize in the digital forensics area.

So I just wanted to see where others have gone from the desktop support role and if anyone has any suggestions for trying to figure out where to take your career. I know that ultimately it is my decision and will be driven by my choices and interests, but right now I'm just trying to come up with a plan for what to do next to continue advancing my career. I've got an interest in Security, but even that is a broad field with many career paths to choose from.

I apologize if this post is a bit long-winded. As always, I sincerely appreciate your time and feedback.
"Tahiti is not in Europe. I'm going to be sick."

Comments

• Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    It's always good to be looking forward - failing to do that is the biggest mistake most IT folk make.

I spent my time in desktop support working closely with the system/network admins and obtaining certifications, until I eventually moved into a sysadmin role in the same organization. When I started as a desktop tech I had an A+. When I left desktop support I had my CCNA, MCSA and Security+ as well.

The knowledge I gained from those certs really helped to bridge the gap between desktop and systems/networking. There's going to be a gap between where you are and where you want to be no matter which direction you choose. The important thing is that you start identifying what that gap is and work on eliminating it with knowledge and lab experience.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Usually desktop support or wintel / system admin. (If you are technical) If you are more administrative, team leader or metric person icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    itsgonnahappenitsgonnahappen Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You have the right mind set. The key as stated above is to continue looking forward and filling in the gaps for skills you lack. At 1 year of experience, it might be a pretty gigantic leap to jump into a sysadmin role now, but only you can attest to that. See what's out there and continue to explore. You're well on your way.
  • Options
    GLaDOSGLaDOS Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I sincerely appreciate everyone's feedback. I think my biggest problem is I don't really know where to be looking forward to. Did you guys just know where and how you wanted to grow your careers after desktop support or did you just naturally grow into your roles? Or perhaps a combination of both?

Maybe I just don't have a solid grasp of the potential career paths beyond a desktop support role. Sorry if I'm a bit all over the place, but lately I've just been stressed about this topic as I don't feel I have a solid plan to work towards the next goal...because I can't seem to decide or determine a next goal.

As always, I do appreciate your time and feedback.
    "Tahiti is not in Europe. I'm going to be sick."
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Find out what you wanna do and go for it. If you don't like it then switch to something else. Your time won't be wasted because you'll get experience and you'll discover yourself better.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****