How many years of experience recommended for MCSA server 2012?

jerseyIT92jerseyIT92 Banned Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
Going over the study guide and I feel a little lost. I have 1 year of IT work experience, currently working in IT. With 1 year of experience, is it just not logical to try and study for this test?

Comments

• TylerBarrettTylerBarrett Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It will make a little more difficult yes, but as long as you have some study habits that work for you, and you have a setup that you can lab on you'll be fine! From what I've read the labbing will make up any lack of experience. I've my 70-410 exam scheduled for the end of May so I can't really speak from experience.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My first reaction was 1 year of experience. I think 0 is strange, but 1 for the MCSA server makes a lot of sense. I would consider that bare minimum but still very realistic. Of course this is under the assumption that part of your 1 year of experience is working with MS Server.
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    what type of experience?

Reviewing the material for the MTA: Windows Server Administration Fundamentals might help.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • jerseyIT92jerseyIT92 Banned Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ajs1976 wrote: »
    what type of experience?

Reviewing the material for the MTA: Windows Server Administration Fundamentals might help.

It was at a smaller MSP. A lot of the clients were smaller, so didn't even have a server. I did work with clients that had servers though. Did basic things like setting up DHCP scopes, event viewer logs, adding new AD users, connectivity issues, etc.
    N2IT wrote: »
    My first reaction was 1 year of experience. I think 0 is strange, but 1 for the MCSA server makes a lot of sense. I would consider that bare minimum but still very realistic. Of course this is under the assumption that part of your 1 year of experience is working with MS Server.

I think my problem is that I don't know exactly what to study. I have the MCSA Server 2012 R2 cert guide by Sybex with all three exams. The problem is, it doesn't tell you where in the book to focus on. I obviously can't memorize the 500 pages for the 410 exam. I guess I'm just "confused" on where to study.
  • cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    410 is where you want to start. look at https://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/exam-70-410.aspx

each of the skills measured section look up in your book and read and get to know. also Check out cybrary.it for free videos that can walk you through the 410.
    cruwl wrote: »
    410 is where you want to start. look at https://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/exam-70-410.aspx

each of the skills measured section look up in your book and read and get to know. also Check out cybrary.it for free videos that can walk you through the 410.

When I said I was confused, I meant on what to study. What sections etc.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @ Jersey that's why I don't care for certifications. Instead of learning what you need to pass, I would rather just start learning information that synchronizes with my current position.

If chapter 2, 3, 4, and 10 really help fill in knowledge gaps in my current role, those would be the chapters I would focus on.

That's just me though.

FWIW I still think that's an awesome certification, but as far as what to study I am not much help. Good luck!
  • ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I am sure looking up the exam objectives then looking for the chapters that cover them in the table of contents would be a good start.