Options

IT Project Management transition

Nathan2508Nathan2508 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone. Please excuse any ignorance as I am new to this forum. I am currently a project manager for a specialized construction/engineering services company. I would like to transition into IT in some way or another, hopefully as a lateral move instead of starting from the ground up.

I hold a BS in Industrial Engineering and recently became a Certified ScrumMaster. In your opinion, what other project management certs or non project management tech certs would help me make the transition?

I do have a some networking and programming experience, so I am not completely in the dark, but I know I need to improve my IT skill set to be effective.

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think you are on the right track. It doesn't get much better than the CSM in IT. Especially in App Dev, ETL, integration efforts. The PMP can be solid if you are looking at infrastructure (manufacturing) type of projects, but most real world projects are more aligned with agile and changing requirements.

I don't know if you have to go any further. PMI has a ACP - PMI agile certification, but IMO it is inferior by name and recognition to the CSM. I believe the material is a little more challenging from what I have read. PMI has a tendency of making their certification exams overly long and time consuming. Not exactly a great combination for a professional who is tight on time.

IMO you need to find a vertical in which you can leverage your domain knowledge.
  • Options
    Nathan2508Nathan2508 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My knowledge base and interests point me towards ETL projects. What tech cert would you recommend to help make up for my lack of real world data warehousing experience?