Options

Ways to make money on a computer (Outside your day job) ?

CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
I have a lot of free time on my hands ;). I really enjoy computers and the seemingly infinite possibilities the user has.

I am interested in exploring various ways of making money using a computer. I am very artistic and have really enjoyed digital media and web design, but what other ways are there to make money on a computer in your spare time?

Does anyone do side jobs like web design, marketing, digital art etc... for money outside od their normal IT job?

Any other ideas of unconventional ways to make money using computers?

Comments

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Online poker. Not sure where you are located, but I was making some nice side money doing this before PokerStars banned US players.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've done some web design for people in the past. Anything super complicated I contract out. I've turned down a job here and there because the people were super needy and that almost never works out well. What you don't want is someone who thinks they own you because they are paying you cutting into your regular/full time job. Just recently I referred someone elsewhere just a few weeks ago because before we even started he was messaging me all the time and if I didn't respond, with the request completed, within an hour he'd message me again saying I really need to block time off specifically for him when he makes requests, lecturing, etc. I told him my plate was too full right now to take on any other projects.

Some clients have been great, paid decently well allowing me to pay off some old debt and save some money, some have been really annoying, hah. There are a million ways to make side income just depends on how hard you want to work and your tolerance level for juggling a bunch of stuff and risk at the same time.
  • Options
    dave0212dave0212 Member Posts: 287
    No quick money spinners for me as don't really have the time, manly due to the following long haul projects; writing a book and building an online service (SaaS) product

In the past I have played poker to earn a little cash but I can't dedicate the time to it at the moment, maybe in a few years.
    This week I have achieved unprecedented levels of unverifiable productivity

Working on
    Learning Python and OSCP
  • Options
    markulous wrote: »
    Online poker. Not sure where you are located, but I was making some nice side money doing this before PokerStars banned US players.

I would get myself in trouble with poker online!
  • Options
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    I've done some web design for people in the past. Anything super complicated I contract out. I've turned down a job here and there because the people were super needy and that almost never works out well. What you don't want is someone who thinks they own you because they are paying you cutting into your regular/full time job. Just recently I referred someone elsewhere just a few weeks ago because before we even started he was messaging me all the time and if I didn't respond, with the request completed, within an hour he'd message me again saying I really need to block time off specifically for him when he makes requests, lecturing, etc. I told him my plate was too full right now to take on any other projects.

Some clients have been great, paid decently well allowing me to pay off some old debt and save some money, some have been really annoying, hah. There are a million ways to make side income just depends on how hard you want to work and your tolerance level for juggling a bunch of stuff and risk at the same time.

I have mostly played with JOOMLA, WORDPRESS and some WYSIWYG. What platform/tools do you work off/with?

I really enjoy how I can use my creative side to design them; I have not tried to sell anything as of yet, but just doing it to help local businesses and friends dev their own sites.
  • Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I did get a side job, where I have to process files for at least 25 hours a week, and I get paid according to how many pages I get done within those hours.

I have to work between 25-29 hours

I have to do at least 325 pages an hour

I get paid 32 cents a page I do

Here is what it comes out to in terms of payment:

I do 1800 pages an hour, by the way, and stop when I do 40k pages for the week, and just let the timer sit while doing nothing if I get it done in under 25 hours, which almost always happens.

So 40,000 x .032 = 1280 a week x 2 = 2560 per paycheck (gross).

This is supplementing my current full time job.
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Take a look at elance/odesk/Freelancer for side work on your PC. I did 50k last year, and expect more this year, doing system administration, datacenter design, etc, all remote (With the exception of one weekend on site last year).
  • Options
    joelsfood wrote: »
    Take a look at elance/odesk/Freelancer for side work on your PC. I did 50k last year, and expect more this year, doing system administration, datacenter design, etc, all remote (With the exception of one weekend on site last year).
    These are awesome. Just have to take the time to set up your profile properly.
  • Options
    @Jaci

Damn!!! Is it just scanning pages into digital format?
    joelsfood wrote: »

I have seen a few gigs here an there. Maybe Ill try my luck at that to start....thanks for the info!
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good advice here.
    I work for a school district so I have summers off.
    So I started my own side business gig doing basic PC stuff (mostly old people needing 10 mins of help)
    Im on all the business sites and post on craiglist and yelp etc.

I am not a legit business though and have no license. I charge a flat rate and pretty much screen my jobs to only do the easy ones.
    All it cost me was basic tools, website costs, email costs, credit card reader thingy, and a little mileage on my car.
    I make more money doing this than I do at my real job.
  • Options
    SmiliesSmilies Member Posts: 31 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I do the same thing as @olaHalo but that scanning job that @Jasiono mentioned sounds rather nice.
  • Options
    The pages are scanned in already I have to sort them out for different departments as well as make sure everything conforms to proper protocol, everything is formatted properly and if there are amendments to sections I have to apply them.
  • Options
    typfromdacotypfromdaco Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @Jasiano, would that be one of the companies that @joelsfood mentioned? I would love to supplement the pay cut I am about to take leaving the Army to enter the civilian world.
    2015 certification goals: [ X] ICND2
  • Options
    ScrawnyRonnieScrawnyRonnie Member Posts: 112
    This isn't a side job/work, but it is a way to SLOWLY make money online. It is nothing in comparison to what I read above, but every penny counts right? I've used a site called opinionoutpost.com to take online surveys. They're $.50 - $2.50 per survey, but some are rather lengthy. You can transfer the "points" as cash into a PayPal account. Guess it has to be something you would enjoy doing, because it takes a long time and isn't much of a payout. I've made $300-400 over the past few years doing it off and on.
    :lol:
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Cyberscum wrote: »
    I have mostly played with JOOMLA, WORDPRESS and some WYSIWYG. What platform/tools do you work off/with?

I really enjoy how I can use my creative side to design them; I have not tried to sell anything as of yet, but just doing it to help local businesses and friends dev their own sites.

I've worked with the same really, also setting up email mailing list templates, logos and such, random other small business type stuff. Anything outside of customized template work I bring a friend of mine in to do the heavy coding.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nothing recently but I have built databases for small companies looking to automate their billing process or create ticketing systems etc. I also write resumes on the side.
  • Options
    rbrenessrbreness Member Posts: 17 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This isn't a side job/work, but it is a way to SLOWLY make money online. It is nothing in comparison to what I read above, but every penny counts right? I've used a site called opinionoutpost.com to take online surveys. They're $.50 - $2.50 per survey, but some are rather lengthy. You can transfer the "points" as cash into a PayPal account. Guess it has to be something you would enjoy doing, because it takes a long time and isn't much of a payout. I've made $300-400 over the past few years doing it off and on.

If you do this job on a regular basis, how much can you earn?
  • Options
    rbreness wrote: »
    If you do this job on a regular basis, how much can you earn?

There are only so many available surveys per day, so you are limited. The most I've made in 1 day is around $8, which is nothing really. It is just some extra money to buy a little something every now and then. Takes a lot of endurance to do them :)
  • Options
    aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Make mobile apps! I know a few people who have started it as a hobby and began making so much money that they quit their day jobs. Plus it seems like it would be pretty fun.
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • Options
    rbrenessrbreness Member Posts: 17 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There are only so many available surveys per day, so you are limited. The most I've made in 1 day is around $8, which is nothing really. It is just some extra money to buy a little something every now and then. Takes a lot of endurance to do them :)

According to what you say I can win $240 per month top. How long does it take to fill one out?
  • Options
    Jasiono wrote: »
    I did get a side job, where I have to process files for at least 25 hours a week, and I get paid according to how many pages I get done within those hours.

I have to work between 25-29 hours

I have to do at least 325 pages an hour

I get paid 32 cents a page I do

Here is what it comes out to in terms of payment:

I do 1800 pages an hour, by the way, and stop when I do 40k pages for the week, and just let the timer sit while doing nothing if I get it done in under 25 hours, which almost always happens.

This is supplementing my current full time job.

Where does such a job exist? & how do you do so many pages per hour if you have to make sure they're formatted correctly? You average 30 pages per minute!

Oh, and hopefully Bayern can turn things around against Porto today after that shock 3-1.
  • Options

Oh, and hopefully Bayern can turn things around against Porto today after that shock 3-1.

Ohhhh, that's just low.

....But true.
  • Options
    Cyberscum wrote: »
    Ohhhh, that's just low.

....But true.

They didn't take long to turn the tie around icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    devils_haircutdevils_haircut Member Posts: 284 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Jasiono wrote: »

That's more than I make in a month (gross). icon_cry.gif
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea... I think I'm a little skeptic of someone saying they make over 60k a year online "processing files" (whatever that means) working 25-29 hours a week.
  • Options
    Chuynh22Chuynh22 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yea... I think I'm a little skeptic of someone saying they make over 60k a year online "processing files" (whatever that means) working 25-29 hours a week.

I'm not, I knew people that made over $1,000 a day pushing online advertising content. Easy to get into but very difficult to generate constant good income from it though; also a really really saturated market.
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
  • Options
    N7ValiantN7Valiant Member Posts: 363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How realistic is it to mine bitcoins?icon_cheers.gif
    OSCP
    MCSE: Core Infrastructure
    MCSA: Windows Server 2016
    CompTIA A+ | Network+ | Security+ CE
  • Options
    knownheroknownhero Member Posts: 450
    I'm mining ETH for fun. Really fun to learn and makes some extra cash, not massive amounts as I'm only running a single card... But once you've made enough to buy a new card you can cash out and expand.

Don't think of it as a get rich quick thing, but if you want to learn and understand it, it's worth it
    70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
    MCSE - SharePoint 2013 :thumbup:

Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development