Communicating between Hyper-V Server and a laptop guest o/s (VMware Workstation)?

Mr DavoMr Davo Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Everyone,

I am experimenting with Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 on my personal computer.

To do so I have setup Hyper-V Server in a dual boot configuration with Windows 7; this way my wife can use our PC as normal (to perform banking, look at Facebook, etc), and I can use the PC for a learning tool.

At the moment whilst I have successfully setup Hyper-V Server I am experiencing some difficulty accessing it with the Remote Administration Tools. My specific challenge is networking related, and more specifically caused by the fact that I am running VMware Workstation on a laptop which I am then attempting to connect to the Hyper-V Server with!

Here is a diagram which better explains my setup!

4fti8p.jpg

My Hyper-V Server is on the I.P. address 192.168.0.1, my Laptop Host is on 192.168.0.2, and my Laptop Guest is on 192.168.0.3.

I can ping too and from the Hyper-V Server through the Laptop Host (192.168.0.2). I can also ping from the Laptop Host to the Laptop Guest, however I cannot ping from the Laptop Guest (192.168.0.3) directly to or from the Hyper-V Server (192.168.0.1).

Can anybody think of any issues which would prevent a Guest O/S (running in VMware Workstation) from being able to ping to the Hyper-V Server?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Davo

Comments

• cs8400cs8400 Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In VMware workstation, check your Guest VM network settings. Is it set to Host-only? Try switching it to Bridged.
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Check your firewall settings. Or your VMware network settings.
  • Mr DavoMr Davo Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for your responses. I could have sworn that the Host on my laptop could ping through to the Hyper-V Server (last Thursday), when I performed initial testing. However after I posted to this forum I tried pinging again and discovered much to my surprise that I could not ping from the laptop to the PC (Hyper-V) at all. After some research I realized that I needed to explicitly allow pings from the Hyper-V Server. Once I enabled the relevant setting I was then able to ping from my laptop (both Host & Guest OS).

Kind Regards,

Davo