Options

A+ 801 Passed Today (CompTIA A+ 12 day Challenge)

orlandoflorlandofl Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
CompTIA A+ 12 day challenge!

Passed the A+ 801 test today with an 80. I wanted to pass this thing as quickly and cheaply as possible (I have a job interview coming up in about a week that prefers A+).

I ran through Professor Messer's Section 1-Hardware, Section-3 Laptops, and most of section 4 Printers. Skipped the networking and operational procedures videos. I didn't use any books or any other supplemental materials. I used an old PC I had laying around. I went along with the videos, took it apart, screwed with all the components, and put it back together.

Overall, took me around 5 days worth of studying/hands on to become comfortable enough with topics to sit for the exam. I had 4 simulation questions. I scheduled the 802 exam for May 6th in hopes I can tack it on my resume before my interview.

Good Luck!

-Travis

**Update 5/13/2015**

The CompTIA trinity is complete, and lessons have certainly been learned! I took the 801 exam with just a few days of study and did well. I took the 802 exam without studying at all…and failed with a 68. I then studied off and on for a few days (admittedly not enough, probably 3 hours at best) and passed with a 72 today.

I was thinking driving home from the testing center…what if I would have failed for a second time? What if my arrogance towards the A+ exam had cost me $268 dollars? (Certmaster-voucher combo) I would have felt like a total douchebag and I’m sure my wife would have been PO’d for throwing money away. Coming from already having passed Net+ and Security+ I suppose I didn’t take A+ seriously.

I suppose my purpose of this moral rant is just to say to anyone who might be circling back around to A+ after already having other certifications completed, you might want to study…or it could be an expensive lesson learned!

I interviewed and was offered the job last week, start June 1st!

Onward forth to the CCENT/CCNA exams!

-Travis
  • Education: B.A. Criminal Justice - Thomas Edison State University
  • Education: Undergraduate Certificate in Microsoft Server Administration - St. Petersburg College
  • Currently Working On: MCSA - Windows 10
  • Planned Certifications for 2017: MCSE - Mobility
  • Connect With Me On LinkedIn:https://www.linkedin.com/in/travisebyrd

Comments

• Options
    clayb226clayb226 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Travis, do you have experience in the field? I took my 801 on 4/20, after only reading 2 chapters, and passed with a 792. I then took the 802 on 4/28, but read the material, but did not study it, only read it through once, and passed with an 821, so I am confident that you should be able to pull it off also, good luck to you!!!
  • Options
    orlandoflorlandofl Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Travis, do you have experience in the field? I took my 801 on 4/20, after only reading 2 chapters, and passed with a 792. I then took the 802 on 4/28, but read the material, but did not study it, only read it through once, and passed with an 821, so I am confident that you should be able to pull it off also, good luck to you!!!

I do have a little over a year of experience in telecommunications supporting Sprint’s macro network. A year as a communications technician for an ISP doing internet installs and trouble calls, and a year as a PC tech for my own small company doing mainly OS troubleshooting and home network stuff.

Ya know it’s funny. While I was typing this I got a call from a recruiter at a tech company here in Orlando that I’ve worked with before. They have a desktop support tech opening. The position entails the run of the mill remote support, but also has a hands on PC tech aspect to it. My resume was submitted and the client wants to interview me. One of the biggest aspects of the interview is hardware support. The recruiter said they actually drill you about different components on an actual motherboard and various repairs to problems. Odd that I just spent the last 5 days learning this stuff, and prior to this…really didn't know much about hardware at all.

Weird how things can fall into place ehh?

-Travis
    • Education: B.A. Criminal Justice - Thomas Edison State University
    • Education: Undergraduate Certificate in Microsoft Server Administration - St. Petersburg College
    • Currently Working On: MCSA - Windows 10
    • Planned Certifications for 2017: MCSE - Mobility
    • Connect With Me On LinkedIn:https://www.linkedin.com/in/travisebyrd
  • Options
    clayb226clayb226 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That is great news, I hope it all works out for you. Good luck with the interview, I am hoping to get a couple interviews soon myself.
  • Options
    ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on passing the first part of the A+ cert. Cant wait to read that have have passed the 2nd exam and have your A+.
    2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
    CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!
  • Options
    NtengNteng Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    glad for you and good luck on 802
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats good luck on part two!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63