Just passed!!

m1xaylom1xaylo Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
Just passed S+ icon_lol.gif

Used Gibson's "Get Certified Get Ahead", prof. Messer's videos. Last 10 days I got Gibson's paid content to brush up.

Thank you everyone on here for your shared experiences and advice's.

Comments

• orlandoflorlandofl Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! icon_thumright.gif What's next?

-Travis
    • Education: B.A. Criminal Justice - Thomas Edison State University
    • Education: Undergraduate Certificate in Microsoft Server Administration - St. Petersburg College
    • Currently Working On: MCSA - Windows 10
    • Planned Certifications for 2017: MCSE - Mobility
    • Connect With Me On LinkedIn:https://www.linkedin.com/in/travisebyrd
  • tmcgtmcg Banned Posts: 127
    Congrats on the pass going to start studying the material for the exam in a few weeks, sit it over the summer.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!!
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • m1xaylom1xaylo Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks and as far as whats next, I'm not sure yet. Saw that comptia have 50$ server + exam, and since it is inexpensive I might give it a try
  • kevluck373kevluck373 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm using Darrell Gibson's website & book along w/ the compita certmaster that I purchased along w/ 2 vouchers.

I surf the internet for different study materials, and I come across some testing software guaranteeing you'll pass, but I don't see how that's possible.

Anyway, I read through the posts everyday, and never remember anyone mentioning exam force.

Has anyone heard of exam force? Exam force is $199 & has the guarantee to pass, & I was thinking about trying exam force.

Has anyone at all tried exam force?

Thanks for any input
    Now, after I passed the exam, I can tell you that is overkill. In my opinion Gibson's book covers the exam pretty well and I went over the whole book only once. Exams at end of every chapter in his book are very useful, and the "final" exam (in the end of the book) will give you an idea what areas you need to brush up before the actual exam.

Exam force is good but from what I learned so far there is no product, no mater how pricey, that can guaranty 100% pass ... I also used this, and it is free ExamCompass | CompTIA Practice Exams

I was a bit nervous, and about 10 days before the exam I purchased Pass the Security+ Exam the First Time You Take It | Get Certified Get Ahead ... 36$ well spent, imo.
  • H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congratulations on passing your Security+
  • tkcomptkcomp Member Posts: 21 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the Pass!!:)
    Hey thanks for the response.

I didn't know anything about examcompass, & I'm glad you told me that before I went the examforce route.

Thanks again
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    kevluck373 wrote: »
    Hey thanks for the response.

I didn't know anything about examcompass, & I'm glad you told me that before I went the examforce route.

Thanks again

No problem and good luck with your studies.
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    m1xaylo wrote: »
    Just passed S+ icon_lol.gif

Used Gibson's "Get Certified Get Ahead", prof. Messer's videos. Last 10 days I got Gibson's paid content to brush up.

Thank you everyone on here for your shared experiences and advice's.

Congrats.
  • TheReceiverTheReceiver Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats man!

Hardest part for me was PKI Infrastructure.

Whats next on the table?
    Thanks guys.

Honestly, the hardest part for me was understanding some of the questions :D they have a nasty habit of poorly wording their exams so I had to read some questions 4-5 times ....

Not really sure whats next, I was thinking about Server+, but Server 2012 is what I planed for this year.
  • ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass. You have the main 3 CompTIA certs, what direction do you want to go now? MCSA, CCNA or some other specialization?
    2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
    CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats, studying for sec+ as we speak.
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
    @greg9891 - Thank you and good luck with your studies!!
    Questions are random but know your ports and types of attacks ... I saw quite a few on my test

@ssnyderu2 - not sure whats next but I had MCSA Server 2012 and CCNA in plan for this year.

• greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Thanks for the heads up i will make sure i know those ports and attack types. I expected as much but thanks for confirming it. was there anything on there reguarding cryptography?
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
    I got maybe 4 or 5 questions on cryptography. If that is your week point, focus your studies on it or choose to ignore it and ace the rest of the test :D
  • JfazJfaz Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I just passed yesterday using only D. Gibson's book and about 4 months of casual study.
    Are there many questions about subnetting? I think subnetting is one of if the most difficult parts of the security+

I see a lot of people talk about performance questions being on the exam. The type of questions where you drag & drop items; however, I haven't been able to find hardly any performance based questions anywhere.
  • makninomaknino Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Congrats am studying for it[/FONT]
    kevluck373 wrote: »
    Are there many questions about subnetting? I think subnetting is one of if the most difficult parts of the security+

I see a lot of people talk about performance questions being on the exam. The type of questions where you drag & drop items; however, I haven't been able to find hardly any performance based questions anywhere.

I don't think that I got any, but it is random so it might be different in your case. Subnetting is usually something you will have to deal with if you decide to go CISCO route, and not so much S+.

On the other hand, you are going to get several performance questions and there might be a questions with subnetting. From what I figured, performance questions are a good chunk of your total score so make sure you do well there.
  • c0mptiac0mptia Member Posts: 149 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nice... and Congrats!!
  • TongyTongy Member Posts: 234
    Passed mine today too - well done everyone that has passed their or are going to
    Congrats! What's next for you Tongy?
  • TongyTongy Member Posts: 234
    Not quite sure.

GSEC probably - I'm not paying :)

Could do SSCP but am not convinced this would be anything more than CV fodder and more CPE hassle tbh.
    Had considered CEH just to get a better understanding of what pen testers are talking about.

Some colleagues have said CISSP - despite not having enough (genuine) experience in Infosec.
    Security+ was an excellent place to start, and I'm very glad I did it.

The world is my oyster I guess :)