Options

Anyone swap out a stock fan on a Cisco router for a better one.

mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey guys,
Not sure if this is the correct forum, But the Fan on my 2811 is really loud! Before I crack the case is there anyone here who has swapped out the stock fan on their router equipment for a better fan ? Do you have any suggestions on a more efficient quieter fan ?
Any links or tips are welcome.
Please advise
"A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino

Comments

• Options
    siggnationsiggnation Member Posts: 182
    I have had a similar issue with one of my catalyst switches, discovering dust was clogging the the air flow. Using a standard computer air blower, it cleared the issue up.
    Currently Reading:

CCIE Routing and Switching Written Exam v. 5.1
    CCIE Routing and Switching 5.0 OCG, Vol. I
    Cisco Lan Switching
  • Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    are the fans less noisey once the router boots up. They startup reving fast and loud, but slow down and get quietier once the router boots up.
    And, do you know which fan is the problem. fans on the 2811 come in two thicknesses. So, you'd need to know what size to use.
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    Yes, it is not difficult at all, I picked up the right size off ebay and they were designed for media center computers, very quiet and not really expensive.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    davenulldavenull Member Posts: 173 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I tried changing fans in an 2811, it wasn't worth the effort. There were 2 smaller fans and a bigger one that blows air through a wind tunnel into the power supply enclosure. This last one is the loudest one. If there was no wind tunnel it would've been much quieter.

Installing a quieter fan usually means it's going to have less rpm and less voltage. When I tried it either one of two things happened: the new fan failed to spin up at all or, even if it spins, you get an annoying 'fan failure' message every few seconds in the console.

I did replace the 2 smaller fans with quieter ones but it didn't make much difference overall (2-3dB less noise) because the power supply fan drowns them.

Also, if you try this, you'll need to swap 2 cables on the connectors, I think it was black and yellow.
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    I got tired of my Cisco 2811 router overheating so I took it apart and had a Corsair liquid cooling block for a socket A3 heatsink on it. it' looked so ghetto up until I replaced it, but it ran cool; literally! icon_wink.gif