C:\ >ping 192.168.10.45

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
>Ctrl+Z

C:\ > ping 192.168.40.45

Destination unreachable.
Destination unreachable.

.....if it's destination unreachable it means the router or L3 routing device doesn't have route to the address in question in the routing table. Basically if it's a network on the other side of two routers, all it takes it one router to lack the route back to the source hosts network and poof the packet is dropped.

My boss is telling me in wrong. I'm sticking to my head on this one since I know for a fact he's wrong. Routing is still fresh in my skull from CCNA study so I'm almost 99% positive I'm correct.

Going to re-read IP routing now in my book. Times like these from bosses makes me question my studies. /facepalm

Comments

• Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Destination Unreachable is a type 3 generic icmp message that can have different type codes.

0 net unreachable
    1 host unreachable
    2 protocol unreachable
    3 port unreachable
    4 fragmentation needed
    5 source route failed

You have excluded types 2-5 as the possible issue.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I am curious, what does your boss 'think' the problem is? It is fine to disagree, but there should at least be a reason.

Also, is the network card functioning properly?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    my boss thinks the router just knows the route, there is no dynamic route or static route in the second router of the address, he just presumes he can setup his PC's nic as the address in question, have it on the 1st router and without setting up anything on the remote or 2nd router for the return address since router 1 will just tell the other one to do it cause the other router is 'smart'.

The reason the 1st router works is cause the route is local to router 1 and not router 2. bear in mind no routing protocol is enabled on router 2 where-as it is on router 1 ie: RIP, BGP, OSPF; absolutely no protocol is turned on at all.

I mean I already know why it's not working, cause I intentional didn't put a return route on router 2 but it's cute to see my boss say it's not needed and that router 2 will just know to send it to router 1.

He's really hard set that I'm wrong. /facepalm icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm just trying to follow his logic as to why he thinks I'm wrong.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Perhaps if he is a betting man, you could place a friendly wager on it (say a lunch or extra time off) and tell him you need 'x' minutes to fix the issue and if it is not fixed your way, you'll buy him lunch, but only after his solution is implemented and working, which by your explanation won't work ;).

The other approach is to ask him how it 'just knows' and how does one 'check' to see if the device's 'just knows' feature is not working?

Good luck, hang in there.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    Perhaps if he is a betting man, you could place a friendly wager on it (say a lunch or extra time off) and tell him you need 'x' minutes to fix the issue and if it is not fixed your way, you'll buy him lunch, but only after his solution is implemented and working, which by your explanation won't work ;).

The other approach is to ask him how it 'just knows' and how does one 'check' to see if the device's 'just knows' feature is not working?

Good luck, hang in there.

I might just do that.... I'm finding myself being challenged on my skillz all the time now being in a somewhat 'lead' but not 'senior' role. I may know more than most for what I do, but too me 'senior' level is only after I get like a CCNP/MCSE/VCIX and all three of them as a system administrator. Only then will I think highly of myself; I'm too hard on myself sometimes. Always striding to know more and never good enough. icon_wink.gif

.....case-in-point; spent all morning (6:45 am EST) and up until now (4:20 pm EST) reading Todd Lammel's CCNA book from Chapter 5 to Chapter 13 in 6 hours and all of it being review but to me I won't take the bloody exam until I can answer every question without getting it wrong.

...It's different for me as I've always been the lesser being in my past employments. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    Just a quick tip. Your boss is always right, even if he's wrong. Technical knowledge is important to get into a senior position but soft skills are also very important. Just let this one go.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Your boss might think he's right but is he a pretty laid back guy who'll give you a chance? If he's someone without a huge ego and will let you explain yourself, go ahead and spin up GNS3 and give him a quick overview of routing and see if he's open to letting you fix the issue. It'll make you look good and it'll give you some practice with those CCNA skillz you learned :) You'll come across situations like this in your career where you have to make a case and explain technical concepts to non-technical people in a way that they will understand. This would be good practice.

If he's not the kind of guy to admit he's wrong or it's going to cause more problems than it solves, take Diegos advice and just ignore it. It sucks to have to do that but sometimes you have to.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com