Options

WGU and the A+ certification

NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
Am I right to say that WGU (for BS degrees) requires its students to have passed the A+ certification at some point in their careers if not while enrolled in WGU? I am wondering if they allow the substitution of college credit or another certification in favor of not having to take the A+.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.
O
/|\
/ \

Comments

• Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I didn't have my A+ and I did not get it while in WGU (and I still do not have it). I did however have more than 10 years work experience, some college credit and multiple certifications prior to starting WGU. I think my CCNA or MCITP:EA covered it.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That is definitely interesting. Thanks a lot!
    O
    /|\
    / \
  • Options
    J_86J_86 Member Posts: 262 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It could be waved by transfer credits, but if the A+ class is part for the degree you'll have to take it. It is not part of every degree track.
    I just started the BS IT - Security track April 1st and I had to take it (just passed the second part of it this morning). I have 9 years IT experience and a few certifications.
  • Options
    CaiyenneCaiyenne Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The A+ class is part of my degree (started April 1st in the BSIT Software program) but I am not required to take it. My AA degree in Information Technology satisfied that requirement.
  • Options
    nsternster Member Posts: 231
    MCSA Server used to cover those if you transferred it in, but idk if it still does. Someone from the credit transfer department said no, but he said stuff that wasn't true so I took it with a grain of salt
  • Options
    jak096jak096 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    MCSA knocked out 4 courses but not A+. I start June 1st in BS IT Sec. What should I pre-study A+ or Project+? My A+ is a lifetime but WGU said I would have to redo it because it is over 5 years. After I pass the assessment I thought I would just skip taking the CompTIA A+ exam because I don't really see any point of taking it again. Any suggestion on that and what to pre-study?
  • Options
    J_86J_86 Member Posts: 262 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jak096 wrote: »
    MCSA knocked out 4 courses but not A+. I start June 1st in BS IT Sec. What should I pre-study A+ or Project+? My A+ is a lifetime but WGU said I would have to redo it because it is over 5 years. After I pass the assessment I thought I would just skip taking the CompTIA A+ exam because I don't really see any point of taking it again. Any suggestion on that and what to pre-study?

The A+ exam is the assessment for the class at WGU, so you can't just skip taking it. You have to prove you passed the exam to get credit for the class. If you already passed the A+ exam once, I wouldn't worry much about it. Just brush up on some things. The practice exams from WGU will tell you what you should focus on. The material for the A+ exam is this book (you get access to it for free) and some lab software called LabSim. I only studied about 2 weeks to pass the exam.
    CompTIA A+ Complete Study Guide: Exams 220-801 and 220-802: Quentin Docter, Emmett Dulaney, Toby Skandier: 9781118324059: Amazon.com: Books
  • Options
    aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    While the A+ exams are comprehensive, it is probably one of the easiest IT exams you'll ever take in the IT field.

While the return on investment is not what it used to be for the certification, it certainly can be a door opener for some entry IT jobs, and it's a great foundation to start from.

If it's included in your degree program, take it. If your employer is willing to reimburse you for it, by all means pursue it.

Good luck to you.
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • Options
    jak096jak096 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info.