Options

Daily Tasks of System Administrator

jahazieljahaziel Member Posts: 175 ■■■□□□□□□□
What daily tasks do you do at your job? I'm trying to figure out what a System Admin does daily in checking their systems.

Would you check replication daily?

Any comments would be great.

Comments

• Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Do you have a monitoring system in place? I'd start by checking the health of the systems, then backup status, then systems performance (in that order).

Create a baseline of system status, and patching. See when and how to apply patches.

Automate stuff...
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Automate everything possible. Reporting, etc.
    Work tickets in the queue (VM creation, share creation, share permissions, privileged account creation)
    Monthly patching
    LUN creation and mapping
    Fibre Channel zoning
    Troubleshoot alerts - Backup job failure, SAN aggregation space filling up, CPU/RAM/DISK usage on VMs, Vsphere host connectivity, Server hardware failure, network connectivity (not your job to fix, but in many corporations it is a safe bet that you will have to open the ticket to networking and use your monitoring to prove there is something wrong with their systems)
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm in a sort of unique position, but do a lot of System Administration. Daily I do the following:

1. Check for alerts after I left the day before
    2. Perform any patching
    3. Check the status of all the servers
    4. Check VPN tunnels

I'm basically a one man shop. Given everything I've been doing I think I am going to push for a raise.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Walk in office load up Dark Souls 2 :)

When the s**t hits the fan I will get alerts hitting my inbox everything is automated nothing to worry about :)
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "