Options

ISC2 vs ISACA ---> Which one of them produced boring reading materials

riyanriyan Member Posts: 161 ■■■□□□□□□□
Firstly, I do not know whether to put this post in CISSP SSCP or CISA CISM forum.

I am going with ISC2 b/c it's more alive compare to ISACA.

ISACA forum will be lively again just a day before exam i.e on the eve of 12 June 2015 and just before the official announcement of exam results i.e. 3 weeks after 13th June 2015. You will see people posting their anxiety and feelings about the waiting. It is "Circle of Life" kind of thing. Then after the official result announcement they will apply for endorsement and again we will see flood of posting. Cycle is repeated for September and December. So January - June (before exam) it is very dry season and almost no posting there.

In your opinion which one is most boring, official ISACA Manuals or official ISC2 CBK books?. Shon Harris (RIP) did her best to add humor to her books.

Both organization gone through leap and bound and did every effort to cure reader's insomnia. But which one actually succeed?

Comments

• Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    ISACA wins hands down as the organization was founded by a bunch of CPAs and still clings to that feel much of the time. Read the annual reports to truly see the difference. One uses the term "marketing" a lot while the other doesn't or rarely uses the term at all.

Kudos for the Sail and Learn program there in Chicago, though. Nothing could be more pleasurable than being locked on a boat for 8 plus hours while taking course work with no chance of escape - short of jumping ship. Lake Michigan is still pretty cold at the thermocline - maybe the upper 40s/low 50s in the summer.

ISACA wins for best post education and meeting opportunities. Very well organized with chapter meetings held monthly downtown but a pain that they are usually scheduled for 3:30 in the afternoons.

- b/eads
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I joined ISACA and the Chicago chapter last year and never went to a meeting precisely because of the time. Now, since Infragard and ECTF are usually 8AM-12PM, those I always attend.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'll probably start showing again to the downtown meetings because I can work downtown as well as out here in the Northern burbs. Live basically at the end of LSD but takes me almost as long to get downtown as it does to get to Mundelein. Go figure.

- b/eads
  • Options
    GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The last Infragard meeting was awesome!
  • Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ISACA by far.... I tried a million times to read their magazines ive never passed page 2. Reading the CISM manual now and fall asleep after 5 minutes.
  • Options
    voodoo26voodoo26 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ofcourse ISACA. I experienced to read CISM guide icon_study.gificon_twisted.gif
    2014 Goals CISSP COLOR=#008000]Passed[/COLOR, 2015 Goals CISM COLOR=#ff0000]June[/COLOR
  • Options
    voodoo26 wrote: »
    Ofcourse ISACA. I experienced to read CISM guide icon_study.gificon_twisted.gif
    I think you need to read CISA to understand that CISM manual is quite readable. CISA is by far the driest and borest of all. May be the base was written by CPA professional as indicated by Beads.
  • Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think the CISM review manual was written using MS Excel.
  • Options
    I think the CISM review manual was written using MS Excel.

Ha ha ha... way two many tables.