Options

70-685 - Setting up/buying a lab and how to pass the exam!

dpbaker2dpbaker2 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All, sitting for the 3rd time. Previous attempt 529 on both tests which was surprising. I really need to have a lab setup, it's the one thing I didn't do in my previous attempts. Can anyone recommend an easy way (I'm absolute novice and never setup a lab before) to get a 2 client-2DC setup. I have a powerful laptop which could support some virtualisation if this is possible. Or if anyone knows a good hosted solution that is easily accessible then I'd be keen to know. Also, any other advice on passing the exam would be great. I've worked through the Microsoft press book and Gibson's book. But the exam seems to throw absolute curveballs all the time and expect you to know the nittiest detail of a group policy.

Comments

• Options
    BucklesBuckles Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dpbaker2 wrote: »
    Hi All, sitting for the 3rd time. Previous attempt 529 on both tests which was surprising. I really need to have a lab setup, it's the one thing I didn't do in my previous attempts. Can anyone recommend an easy way (I'm absolute novice and never setup a lab before) to get a 2 client-2DC setup. I have a powerful laptop which could support some virtualisation if this is possible. Or if anyone knows a good hosted solution that is easily accessible then I'd be keen to know. Also, any other advice on passing the exam would be great. I've worked through the Microsoft press book and Gibson's book. But the exam seems to throw absolute curveballs all the time and expect you to know the nittiest detail of a group policy.

Hi Mate, it seems a few of us struggle with this one.
    You need to get your mits on a Virtualisation platform like VMWare Workstation or one of the freeware equivs.
    Download a couple, W7 and 2K8 R2 and install them. Alot of them are very straight forward in regards to setting up.. you create a VM and then pick an iso to load off... You can set up two separate VM's as clients and another for your DC. I'd never done one before and I found VMWare very idiot proof ;)
    The W7 comes with 30 days of trial time that you can extent and 2K8 R2 has up to 3 months. Just google how to extend the time limits ;)

GL!
  • Options
    vlakarmisvlakarmis Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have labbed much through the MS Press book regarding GPOs, troubleshooting application errors and compatibility however there isn't much scope for me to troubleshoot VPN and Network Connectivity issues.

I just took this exam for first time on Saturday 16th May 2015 and failed it (614 and needed 700 to pass) Lo' and Behold, it showed my weakness to be troubleshooting network issues

I am retaking it in two days' time on Wednesday and I hope I will pass, as I am focusing mainly on going through CBT nuggets again and MS Press book to familiarise myself with these issues. What annoys me are the questions where they say More than one answer would work but choose 'THE BEST ONE' which i take it means the 'Microsoft Windows way'

Just my 2 cent regarding that subject, aside from that you can pretty much lab everythign with 2 VMs , a Client (Win 7 Ultimate or Ente) and a server 2008 r2
  • Options
    vlakarmis wrote: »
    I have labbed much through the MS Press book regarding GPOs, troubleshooting application errors and compatibility however there isn't much scope for me to troubleshoot VPN and Network Connectivity issues.

I just took this exam for first time on Saturday 16th May 2015 and failed it (614 and needed 700 to pass) Lo' and Behold, it showed my weakness to be troubleshooting network issues

I am retaking it in two days' time on Wednesday and I hope I will pass, as I am focusing mainly on going through CBT nuggets again and MS Press book to familiarise myself with these issues. What annoys me are the questions where they say More than one answer would work but choose 'THE BEST ONE' which i take it means the 'Microsoft Windows way'

Just my 2 cent regarding that subject, aside from that you can pretty much lab everythign with 2 VMs , a Client (Win 7 Ultimate or Ente) and a server 2008 r2

Good luck vlakarmis!
  • Options
    MarcITMarcIT Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    1. Download VirtualBox and install an evaluation ISO of Win7 Enterprise and Win2008R2 or WinServer2012 ...
    Technet Evaluation Center
    Unfortunately I don't believe Microsoft offers a Win7 Enterprise evaluation ISO anymore, I don't understand why they cant offer one for study purposes, its a drag, but anyways...
    Setting up your domain controller can be a little complicated, but you can easily find help online, or just send me a PM and I'll help you.

2. Visit CBTNuggets and watch the 70-685 videos, you can receive a 7day free trial without any purchase. The videos are very thorough.
  • Options
    MarcIT wrote: »
    1. Download VirtualBox and install an evaluation ISO of Win7 Enterprise and Win2008R2 or WinServer2012 ...
    Technet Evaluation Center
    Unfortunately I don't believe Microsoft offers a Win7 Enterprise evaluation ISO anymore, I don't understand why they cant offer one for study purposes, its a drag, but anyways...
    Setting up your domain controller can be a little complicated, but you can easily find help online, or just send me a PM and I'll help you.

2. Visit CBTNuggets and watch the 70-685 videos, you can receive a 7day free trial without any purchase. The videos are very thorough.

Use W7 Ultimate. W7 Enterprise isn't available to the general public. It's a Volume License edition that relies on a Key Management Server which allocates licences on behalf of M$.
  • Options
    MarcITMarcIT Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes, but I mentioned the evaluation versions of the operating systems, available for download at TechNet Evaluation Center, that don't require a licencing key.
  • Options
    MarcIT wrote: »
    Yes, but I mentioned the evaluation versions of the operating systems, available for download at TechNet Evaluation Center, that don't require a licencing key.
    Ah :) I didn't think an Evaluation version of Enterprise was available period.