Options

MS:ISA begins June 1

12346»

Comments

• Options
    xeruanxeruan Member Posts: 146 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the acceptance at GT. Do you have much programming experience or do they have on-ramp classes for non-programming IT students?

I appreciate it. While they do accept some non-CompSci/CompEng backgrounded students who show knowledge through industry experience or other means into the program, I'm not exactly sure how they determine what is enough. I haven't heard that they have any on-ramp classes per se, they just require you to learn it before or during the course.

I graduated in December 2014 with dual Bachelors degrees: one in Forensic Science with concentrations in Biology and Chemistry, and another in Computer Science with a concentration in Computer Forensics and Security. So I got stuck with all of the various programming courses required by a normal compsci degree - C++, Java/Software Development, Xcode/Objective C, Assembly, and the like. Unfortunately, I didn't get the opportunity of learning what I would have preferred (Perl/Python), but I am looking to pick that up during the GT courses.
  • Options
    xeruanxeruan Member Posts: 146 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I had thought about posting last week after I got home from my interviews, but thought I'd hold off until later. I had felt they both went well, and I was anxious to see if I would hear back.

Turns out, I was recently offered the job that I had wanted - a cleared Security Engineer position. Since I just graduated from college last December, I have to admit, I'm a bit surprised and relieved that I will be able to take this position (pending the interim clearance).

Now I have to fill out some forms, and wait a few weeks until I'm (hopefully) given the all-clear, which will give me more than enough time to finish up the last of my current classes before the end of the term in November. With the new job and everything, I'm not sure I'll be able to fully complete the degree program in 6 months, but I'll only be left with the capstone.

I certainly understand when they talk about classes taking longer when life gets in the way - between my dad's previous health issues, flying out for interviews, and now potentially beginning a job - time quickly gets away from you. Even if I'm not able to finish the entire program in 6 months, though, I feel that to complete every course but the capstone is still a fair accomplishment.
  • Options
    Mormonx23Mormonx23 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This is a great thread. I just started my MSISA today. I was wanting to know if you are still active in case I have questions.
  • Options
    novovictusnovovictus Member Posts: 192
    I am, I have completed everything except the capstone at this point. Let me know how I can help!
    Working on: Doctor of Information Technology Information Assurance and Security @ Capella