Options

First switch for home lab/practice purposes?

PizzimperfectPizzimperfect Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I'm knee deep in studies for my CCNA at the moment, and i'm at the point where I really need some gear at home to practice with.
Are there any cheap(ish) switches you could recommend for this purpose?

Many thanks!

Pete

Comments

• Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Look at the link on this site to certification kits. It has some good information. You can buy all items cheaper elsewhere but it will give you an idea what you could use.

Maybe switch 2960 and router 1841
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I always recommend GNS3 for labbing, but having the equipment provides the hands on you should have as well.

2950's are good and cheap, 1841 routers also fit the bill.
  • Options
    ImYourOnlyDJImYourOnlyDJ Member Posts: 180
    I started with a 2950 to go along with the 2621XM that I bought. I had those running my home network so I was able to play around with stuff.
  • Options
    PizzimperfectPizzimperfect Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have two 2950s and a 3550 in my lab. As far as layer 2 switches go, the 2950s are a pretty good bet. You can get them cheap and they will do just about everything you need layer 2 wise.
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    I have 5 2950 enhanced versions switches with 3 1841 routers if you shop around you can get both of these for very reasonable prices.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    2950s are cheap ($25) and should suffice for CCNA. If you continue on to CCNP, you will need at least a couple of 3560s or 3750s.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    HAMPHAMP Member Posts: 163
    I just seen a 2950 for $15 with free shipping on ebay

Here is the item #221764447738
    30 day warranty
    The seller has 100% rating with 4750 votes
  • Options
    ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cant go wrong with the 2950 switch. I have a couple of 2950 switches and 2 2811 router, will run any lab I need.
    2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
    CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!
  • Options
    cisco_nerdcisco_nerd Member Posts: 198
    Hi all,

I'm knee deep in studies for my CCNA at the moment, and i'm at the point where I really need some gear at home to practice with.
    Are there any cheap(ish) switches you could recommend for this purpose?

Many thanks!

Pete

Depends on your budget and what you call cheap(ish). I would suggest perhaps a 3560 or 3750 as the 10/100Mb version is pretty cheap on eBay, and you get 802.3af and Cisco Inline power support (at least with the 3560-24ps-s) so they have more options for further labs (Voice/Collaboration). Gigabit is certainly not required and only increases the price!

3560 will do all your layer 2 and some layer 3 stuff so will do you into CCNP R&S studies as well.. the EMI IOS will even last you to CCIE for some technologies.

My 2 cents...
  • Options
    HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    1st right of passage for any CCNA student is to purchase a 2950 off of eBay. Then you log into it for the first time with your USB to Serial adapter that blue screens your computer because you forgot to load the drivers and find out the switch still has a password on it. Then you freak out and Google the password reset procedure for switches. During the process you do the command that deletes all of flash and the switch reboots and you get an "error loading flash" message and your sitting on "rommon 1 >" At this moment you just realized that your Network career just started!
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln