Options

Questions on Information Systems Degree

kalashxkalashx Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello! I'm new to techexams. I am from California and I'm about to earn my associate's in science degree in Business Admin Info Systems concentrate. I am looking to transfer to a Cal State University for a Information Systems major; I am also confused about the type of Information Systems degrees offered by these Universities.

My interest is in Networking & Security and I will study for the CCENT>CCNA while in school, but I also want to have a degree to back it up. I eventually (after experience) want to be a Network Technician/Network Engineer/IT Support Engineer exc.

My main question is what is the difference between Bachelor's of Science Business Admin: Info Systems VS Bachelor's of Arts: Business Admin: Info Systems? The reason I am asking is because Cal State Fullerton offers a BA while most other Universities in SoCal off a BS in Info Systems (Fullerton is the closest school to me). Do employers look at these things? Here is a link to Cal State Fullerton's Info Systems concentration courses.
Information Systems Concentration, BA in Business Administration

Also what areas of IT degrees will probably fit me best? Information Technology/Cyber Security/Info Systems/Management Info Systems.

I need to apply to Universities this summer and I am so confused on which to go to. Fullerton is the closest and most convenient (and a nicer area). I would also like to point out that the counselors at my college are clueless to my questions.

Thank you guys. I'll truly appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You need to ask yourself what area of IT interests you the most. Nobody can answer that question but yourself. It's a good thing that IT is a big field with lots of specializations. As for a BA vs a BS, again what interests you the most? You have to remember that a bachelor's degree is really a job filtering mechanism. Just a checklist for human resources.
  • Options
    kalashxkalashx Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I really like networking and security.
  • Options
    mjnk77mjnk77 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
    BS has more requirements that are aimed at your specific course of study. Sometimes you'll need to take more classes for the degree. The BA has more general classes.

Your best bet is to reach out to the school, some of their professors and hopefully the some students in the program and ask "Why did you choose this program over a BS at another school?"

Hope that helps.