Options

How do you guys deal with ....

ClapDemCheeksClapDemCheeks Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
co-workers who do less work than you but get paid much more?

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    nothing you can do, I used to work below a complete idiot that got paid more then me. We actually had interns working at the time and that would show him how to do things. I found a new job within a year and get paid more now.
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Use it as motivation.
  • Options
    EdificerEdificer Member Posts: 187 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Use it as motivation.

This.

I am dealing with the same issue. I never took it personal, I always saw it as something beneficial (more hands-on experience with hardware, creating diagrams ect). My boss recognized it and allowed me to lead with upgrading our Main and Endpoint ASAs to NGFWs which made me sign off on a $80,000 deal. Last week I was sent to Beirut with our server and storage admins to close a $350,000 purchase with EMC. Not bad, eh?
    “Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.” Confucius
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    To be honest, I can't remember ever caring about how someone gets paid.

If an individual gets paid more than me, that just means that they are doing something right and I see it as an opportunity to learn about the dynamics of how that occurred. If that individual works less hard and is less competent as me (in my own opinion) but he/she is paid more, it must mean that someone values that individual in another intangible way.

Regardless, I never compare myself to my peer group ever, that's simply unproductive. And I would never discuss it with my management. I simply continue to perform to my abilities and try to exceed in my role. For the past 25 years, that philosophy has always worked out for me.
  • Options
    khaledit2015khaledit2015 Member Posts: 42 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Unfair everwhere
  • Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't see it as an issue. Pretty much everyone has a concept of a "cushy job." Most people would take one in a heart beat, the only difference is what constitutes a cushy job.

For one guy it's working as a NOC tech for 17 bucks an hour and the ability to play video games all shift.

For another, it's a $120k risk management position where you play candy crush in meetings for 10 hours a week, do 5 hours a week of real work and spend the rest goofing off.

For many it's somewhere in the middle, and they're perfectly content being a sysadmin with a lot of downtime.

In all three scenarios, the dudes worked to get to where they are. But since they have no plans to move further up, they're not tryharding to jumpstart/continue on a career and are perfectly fine doing the bare minimum they need in their job. They might get paid more, sure, but they probably also got the job while having more knowledge and experience.

That, or they're the CEO's cousin or something, which is perfectly fine. If I had a company (and a cousin), I'd give them a nice job too.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    co-workers who do less work than you but get paid much more?

Move on, we have all been there. It hurts, i know from experience but it really does not add anything of value to you focusing on how much another person makes. If you believe you deserve more you should make a case for yourself by not throwing another person under the bus. Show your worth, if they don't see it, move on.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I am in government and there are helpdesk people that make $80-90k salaries. Not joking as all our salaries are public information.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    maybe they get everything done quickly & efficiently, and it looks like they're doing less work.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Same as others just use it as motivation.

Also remind myself if something goes south and there are layoffs which of us will look better
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,232 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've only had this situation with colleagues that have been with the company longer than me. But you get what you negotiate so if you feel that you deserve the same pay or more then ask your boss for a one-on-one to discuss it.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS