Options

Resume Critique

ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
Good Afternoon,

I'm sorry for such short notice on this, but can I get some input on my resume? I have an interview at a Fortune 500 company tomorrow. While this resume has already landed an interview, I would like to fix it up more before hand.

Thanks in advanced,

Scott

http://1drv.ms/1dZtQjE
--
“Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
2015 Goals: [] 70-410

Comments

• Options
    Robertf969Robertf969 Member Posts: 190
    I like the idea of using an executive overview for each position and than using bullets to describe your achievements. But hey if it landed you a interview already I wouldn't mess with it much until after the interview. Just add anything new that you have gained experience with since you last submitted them the resume. Good luck at your interview, let us know how it goes.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Some major issues:

Your resume should begin with a competent professional summary. I will link you to a document regarding how to write a professional summary. Google is also a good resource on this.

Within the professional experience section, each job description should begin with a high-level overview of your daily duties and responsibilities, and then use bullets to highlight special achievements, projects, promotions, etc. Don't rely solely on bullets like this. I will link you to a resume that's a great example on how to format and write this properly. I would recommend expanding on your experience as much as possible.

Regarding the Technical Skills section, instead of listing a bunch of software, technologies, and protocols, and I would rather you expand upon this information and explain HOW you are proficient in these skills, especially in a business/enterprise environment. Ideally I would recommend that you incorporate this info into your professional experience, and then drop the skills section altogether.

Education should be listed before the Certifications section.

This is an excellent resume guide with example resumes, a huge list of action verbs, sample summaries, etc:

Free File Hosting - Online Storage; Upload Mp3, Videos, Music. Backup Files

This thread contains a fantastic example of a properly formatted and written resume (ptilsen's resume):

Resume time

Someone recently uploaded this document regarding the "STAR Method" of writing resume content. You may want to take a look at it and see if it helps you.

Free File Hosting - Online Storage; Upload Mp3, Videos, Music. Backup Files
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Srabiee = King of the Resume review

Please change your custom title to reflect this new community award. :)
  • Options
    Thank you Srabiee, I hadn't ever seen that before. I will look for ways to incorporate it in future revisions. However for today's interview there isn't enough time.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    --chris-- wrote: »

lol thx icon_redface.gif
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    --chris-- wrote: »

Agreed. I've had no issues with getting calls based on my resume, but the tips you provide will help me adjust it and make it a lot more useful. Thank you for the links.

I know that typically certifications should go below experience and education, and that's where I personally rank them, but within the DoD arena the certifications are mandatory for positions and often the first thing the recruiters look for. What are your thoughts on putting them higher up to make it easier on those you're targeting versus keeping it professional organized?
  • Options
    This is a real pain to rewrite the entire thing in this format. I suppose I just need to get my mind used to writing in this fashion.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
  • Options
    Alright, I have updated my resume, again. I plagiarized a bit from what I saw in the other resume, but changed it to make it mine. I would appreciate any input on this new one. I really haven't proofed it or anything. It is my first time writing a resume in this fashion and I have no clue if I did it right.

http://1drv.ms/1Fh4Tds

Thanks!
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi