Options

Macro

showintshowint Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
Macro is mentioned at least twice in CCNP SWITCH OCG . From etymology of the word I presume it's command run globally, on a large scale. But I can't get what it means in this context. So I googled and came over macro global apply macro-name command which has nothing in common with the macro commands provided in OCG (see below).

Tip:
You can also use a macro configuration command to force a switch port to sup-
port a single host. The following command enables STP PortFast, sets the port to access
(nontrunking) mode, and disables PAgP to prevent the port from participating in an
EtherChannel:
Switch(config)# interface type member/module/number
Switch(config-if)# switchport host
switchport mode will be set to access
spanning-tree portfast will be enabled
channel group will be disabled

Switch(config)# spanning-tree vlan vlan-id root {primary | secondary} [diameter diameter]
This command is actually a macro on the switch that executes several other commands.

Hope you can help me dispel vague and unclear image of this term.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    macro's are sets of CLI commands mapped to a custom name that you can invoke. Some devices have already pre-configured macro's that you can see with the "show parser macro" command. You can also define your own macro's.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Don't get too excited on this discovery, It is covered in CCNP Switch.
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    First of all, I'd like to express my gratitude to all for helping me.

Hondabuff, it consoled me. But, may I know which topic/chapter is it discovered in ? I'd like to read more about it, particularly related to CCNP level. Because I've started preparing for CCNP along with ICND2 to save some time. And I can deal with it, esp when I have an opportunity to lab all of it (on an emulator).
  • Options
    HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    showint wrote: »
    First of all, I'd like to express my gratitude to all for helping me.

Hondabuff, it consoled me. But, may I know which topic/chapter is it discovered in ? I'd like to read more about it, particularly related to CCNP level. Because I've started preparing for CCNP along with ICND2 to save some time. And I can deal with it, esp when I have an opportunity to lab all of it (on an emulator).

If I remember its under the Security section. Securing End Device Access ports or something like that.
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • Options